what I learned from Southeast Asia....

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: what I learned from Southeast Asia....

Post by John Bingham »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:40 pm One things for sure , there are a fair few of the kind BITM talks about.
It depends a lot on location. A couple of weeks ago I went for a meal at the Ethiopian place on 172 and was kind of surprised with the prevalence of whacked-out looking foreigners. However you'll rarely see any outside of the central riverside/ Daun Penh district. I can understand why a tourist (like BKKTrapper/ Beer in the morning/etc) might assume that these foreigners are typical of all the other foreigners here, but while these folks are drinking beer in the morning the other 90% are busy at their office or business or whatever. It's basically just an ignorant tourist perspective.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:40 pm One things for sure , there are a fair few of the kind BITM talks about.
Sure there are. But there are shitloads of expats keeping a low profile, making ends meet, and doing rather well. Of course Pineapple never meets those drinking 50 Cent beers and complaining about life.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:35 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:30 am What’s wrong with Texas? Transplanted Texan and proud of it. In the KOW, bragging about how poor you are (tell the locals you collect cans for a living) seems to be work better than anything. Even the jaow walk the other way when they see me (joking!).
the SEA expats mentality is to act HI-SO when your not , not the opposite.
Not at all, one of the great attractions of Cambodia used to be that one can could dispense with appearances, and tool around in ragged shorts and t-shirt etc, and no-one judged, except perhaps a few NGO or MNC toilers slaved to desks and office attire.
Sadly these days, one is increasingly expected to dust off the Church's, don proper tailoring, etc.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

finbar wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:36 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:30 am What’s wrong with Texas? Transplanted Texan and proud of it. In the KOW, bragging about how poor you are (tell the locals you collect cans for a living) seems to be work better than anything. Even the jaow walk the other way when they see me (joking!).
Not at all, one of the great attractions of Cambodia used to be that one can could dispense with appearances, and tool around in ragged shorts and t-shirt etc, and no-one judged, except perhaps a few NGO or MNC toilers slaved to desks and office attire.
Sadly these days, one is increasingly expected to dust off the Church's, don proper tailoring, etc.
yes even on here im scolded for hangin in 50 cent beer bars and hangin out with cambodian prostitutes ......
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

Sometimes the truth can be very hard :beer3:
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yes even on here im scolded for hangin in 50 cent beer bars and hangin out with cambodian prostitutes
while you scold others for the same things
jmagic
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jmagic »

You think the Khmers didn't and don't judge those types?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

jmagic wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:39 pm
You think the Khmers didn't and don't judge those types?
Not sure about Khmers, BUT thais do not understand, an look down on, the Farangs that "try" and go local and dress in low class clothes that no thai would ever wear, ( fishermen pants, dirty singlet, unkept hair. For ladies, going around bra-less)
NO thai can understand why anyone from the western world would wish to come to their country and live like a poor local.

More than a few thai friends have asked me why this is so...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

More than a few thai friends have asked me why this is so..
what was your answer? LOL
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:39 pm
More than a few thai friends have asked me why this is so..
what was your answer? LOL
i responded,
"they think you will accept them as one of their own"

to which they laughed :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic