Almost a robbery

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
clippy
Expatriate

Almost a robbery

Post by clippy »

this happened a couple of nights ago, havent been on the forum for a bit

I woke up in the middle of the night, surprised to see a 8 foot long pole hanging through the window. and i mean a long bamboo, not a really tall dude from Poland lol

someone had been attempting to fish out my shorts, but very lucky for me the pole had snapped. I had my wallet in my shorts pocket.

people in a room upstairs werent so lucky though. The jaos had managed to fish out their keys. opened the front door and robbed them while they were sleeping in the bed!

Take my advice people. NEVER leave your keys or valuables in reach of a window. these junkie scum are desperate enough to come in to peoples bedrooms when they are sleeping, and if you wake up probably stab you without thinking twice.

this was in sihanoukville
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Re: Almost a robbery

Post by Joker Poker »

Were the folk upstairs foreigners?
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Scary. It also happens to Cambodians and husband always warns me about locking windows properly and not leaving bags, purses, keys, phone next to the windows when I'm staying at hotels and guesthouses.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah quite routine. A girlfriend of mine (khmer) had a bag of hers stolen like that last week. Tonle Basac area. I've had size 13 (46) shoes stolen this way... Go figure.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

If you drive a car , always be watchful for motos that come close if you're stopped somewhere, especially at night time. 2 creatures on such a bike, ladyboys I believe, or dressed as girls as to look unthreatening, one of them gets off the bike and opens the passenger door. My iphone got snatched from the dashboard charger in front of my eyes and I was too stunned to react instantly, trying in vain to chase them afterwards. The 2nd time I drove off when one of them was trying to grab a laptop and almost tore his arm off, on purpose. The last time I spotted them in time and actually waited for them to come close then scared the shit out of them by squeezing them against other cars, I wish I had gone further and caused them to fall and have a serious accident.

Those instances were spread over 3-4 months and involved different cars so it' s not as if they'd remember me, assuming they were the same guys.

Pole fishing is pretty common, they'd sneak in in the narrow space between 2 houses and try it there. Mother in law lost her purse that way.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

logos wrote:If you drive a car , always be watchful for motos that come close if you're stopped somewhere, especially at night time. 2 creatures on such a bike, ladyboys I believe, or dressed as girls as to look unthreatening, one of them gets off the bike and opens the passenger door. My iphone got snatched from the dashboard charger in front of my eyes and I was too stunned to react instantly, trying in vain to chase them afterwards. The 2nd time I drove off when one of them was trying to grab a laptop and almost tore his arm off, on purpose. The last time I spotted them in time and actually waited for them to come close then scared the shit out of them by squeezing them against other cars, I wish I had gone further and caused them to fall and have a serious accident.

Those instances were spread over 3-4 months and involved different cars so it' s not as if they'd remember me, assuming they were the same guys.

Pole fishing is pretty common, they'd sneak in in the narrow space between 2 houses and try it there. Mother in law lost her purse that way.

Since you saw the LB thieves twice, I suspect you might have been parked late at night near wat phnom, hence not a random robbery :lol:
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:
logos wrote:If you drive a car , always be watchful for motos that come close if you're stopped somewhere, especially at night time. 2 creatures on such a bike, ladyboys I believe, or dressed as girls as to look unthreatening, one of them gets off the bike and opens the passenger door. My iphone got snatched from the dashboard charger in front of my eyes and I was too stunned to react instantly, trying in vain to chase them afterwards. The 2nd time I drove off when one of them was trying to grab a laptop and almost tore his arm off, on purpose. The last time I spotted them in time and actually waited for them to come close then scared the shit out of them by squeezing them against other cars, I wish I had gone further and caused them to fall and have a serious accident.

Since you saw the LB thieves twice, I suspect you might have been parked late at night near wat phnom, hence not a random robbery :lol:
You're right groovy French Dude...in fact, I go there nearly every night...selection is awful these days though...they just don't know how to apply that kilo of makeup anymore...oh well, so it goes...everything changes eventually, oui?
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

Haha. First time just in front of my place on st 294, I was about to drive away when they snatched the phone. Then weeks later on Teppan, I suppose another crew, then again near my place a couple months later.

No worries BDS, I'm not competing with you for wat phnom pickings :whip:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I must be projecting the wrong image. I haven't even had an attempted theft yet, and nor do the street cops pull me in for special attention - in fact, most of them nod and smile.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote:I must be projecting the wrong image. I haven't even had an attempted theft yet, and nor do the street cops pull me in for special attention - in fact, most of them nod and smile.
The bicycling Mormons will get you sooner than later...no one is immune from them...not even you - the one with angels on his shoulders...passing you the beers...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic