Brits trekking for charity- Cambodia Challenge 2017

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Brits trekking for charity- Cambodia Challenge 2017

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Hailsham and Lewes trekkers take part in Cambodia Challenge 2017 for Chestnut Tree
All of us are here to raise much needed funds for Chestnut Tree Children’s Hospice, which looks after children from across east and west Sussex with life limiting illnesses and their families.

Our charity challenge began after a 14 hour flight from the UK to Siem Reap, the ancient capital of the mighty Khmer Empire.

Despite the country’s troubles and poverty spots, the Cambodians are happy and welcoming and as we make our way out of Siem Reap through small rural villages and are greeted with waves and happy smiling faces...
https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/ha ... -1-8272668
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Brits trekking for charity- Cambodia Challenge 2017

Post by Kuroneko »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:06 am
Despite the country’s troubles and poverty spots, the Cambodians are happy and welcoming and as we make our way out of Siem Reap through small rural villages and are greeted with waves and happy smiling faces...
Maybe their perception of Cambodia is a little dated! :D

Looks like the people organising these events are called Global Challenges, for the Angkor trek cost is as follows Registration Fee £299 + Min Sponsorship £3000 + Airport Tax and Fuel Surcharge Contribution: £250

Does that mean that each member gets a Cambodian holiday for $449 and the company makes $299?
https://www.globaladventurechallenges.c ... angkor-wat
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More British charity runners in Cambodia:
Brits raise $100k after 300km Siem Reap run
22 December 2017
Two Britons have this year taken the seasonal Christmas gift run to a whole new level by raising $100,000 for charity after running more than 300km across Cambodia.

Matt Pocock and Mark Ferguson, who both live in Hong Kong, began their unprecedented challenge to run from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, the province the Kingdom’s world-famous ancient temple complex is situated.

They began the run on November 27 and ran an average of 50km a day through rural communities across two provinces, Kampong Cham and Kampong Thom, for six days. They then wrapped up their mission on the seventh day by joining over 10,000 runners at the 21km Angkor Wat International Half Marathon on December 3.

The run had the goal of raising £60,000 (around $80,000) to support Temple Garden Foundation, a nonprofit organisation that helps disadvantaged, rural communities in Cambodia.

The two runners were accompanied by a local tour guide on a bicycle and a medical van sponsored by financial services group Manulife.
“There are two reasons we ran. Firstly, it was to raise as much money as possible for Temple Garden Foundation. Secondly, it was to raise the awareness of poverty in rural Cambodia,” Pocock explained...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-life- ... m-reap-run
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

it is very heartening to see charitable impulse motivating so many.
many developed societies need urgent social change in the issues of homelessness and poverty.
This is certainly true from my direct observations of both USA and Oz.
aged people are particularly affected.

some of the people with poverty cards here are relatively well off in terms of having the ability to make a living from the land.
i know one family who raises 3000 ducks at a time. their kids go to a charity school. they do 4-5 batches of ducks a year.
they live on squatted state land and get a lot of their food from the bush. some have jobs.

they are better off than many impoverished elderly Americans as the intergenerational families look after each other.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Cash is the problem. My friend was making $10 a day selling fish caught in the river, and collecting berries and vegetables. trying to do that in the west will likely wind you up in jail so you are forced to go begging to the Social Security.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

On my morning walk I saw a westerner collecting cans from rubbish outside the Irish Place on street 110. Looked a bit down on his luck but did not respond when I said hello. Should he not go home if he is that broke. Ask someone in his family for ticket money?
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Arget wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:15 am On my morning walk I saw a westerner collecting cans from rubbish outside the Irish Place on street 110. Looked a bit down on his luck but did not respond when I said hello. Should he not go home if he is that broke. Ask someone in his family for ticket money?
Ive seen architects, aerospace engineers, US military contracters, other professions fall homeless /alcoholic in SEA .

some died, some went home and sobered up some are still in the streets.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Let me get this straight..UK citizens are asking poor Cambodians to fund social services the UK govt doesn't? That's how I understood the first post. The second one says for Cambodian charities.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Yeah. It’s a little bit odd.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic