Pavement walking in PP - two steps forward and one step back

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Pavement walking in PP - two steps forward and one step back

Post by armchairlawyer »

It has got easier to walk on the pavement in Daun Penh. One has to dodge around a lot of obstacles and sometimes give up and go in the road for a while. I quite enjoy the sport. On the Riverside promenade there are less motos to contend with. However, on the downside, one used to be able to walk on the Riverside street but now vehicles often block the pavement. One taxi driver outside K-West told me the police made him do it so he is not blocking the road.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Pavement walking in PP - two steps forward and one step back

Post by timmydownawell »

What is this "pavement" you speak of. Do you mean the offroad parking for motos and Lexuses?

Most of the time it's not even worth attempting to walk along there.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Let's face it: walking anywhere in SE Asia is crap.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

tbh I do walk a lot. I usually stick to the left side of the road so I can see what I need to avoid.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:27 am tbh I do walk a lot. I usually stick to the left side of the road so I can see what I need to avoid.
I walk everywhere but it is not much fun,,,,,
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:09 am What is this "pavement" you speak of. Do you mean the offroad parking for motos and Lexuses?

Most of the time it's not even worth attempting to walk along there.
Well, if the OP is British, pavement means sidewalks. Or, as you note, off-road parking.

As Hanno says, walking anywhere in SEA sucks. Every year I go back home, it's such a pleasure to walk unimpeded under the thousands of trees. Well, not in winter.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic