Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by AndyKK »

taabarang wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 am This is a bit off topic, but does anyone know of a bank where you can open a savings account with a tourist visa?
Look here.

topic18484.html
Always "hope" but never "expect".
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Do you need a valid, up to date visa in order to withdraw money from your bank account?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

cptrelentless wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:15 am I went and took three grand out of my ABA account a couple of months ago and just showed them my passbook. Could have been anyone.
They have your photo and signature on file, which they check, so "anyone" would have to look exactly like you and be able to forge your signature.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Cambodia banks are ridiculous when it comes to verifying your account.

First, it's a joke that you can have passport, visa, driver's license, and probably 3 more forms of government identification, then you forget to "dot" your "I" and then they can't do any transactions for you because your signature doesn't match.

If that was stupid enough, I was at CAMPU bank once and they filled out some long form, only for me to botch the signature up, twice. We were both pretty irritated and I suggested I practice my signature BEFORE they write up the form.

After a few more failed practice runs, they finally just turned the machine around and let me see it and copy it until I got it right. :facepalm:

Their security measures make no sense.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:39 pm Cambodia banks are ridiculous when it comes to verifying your account.

First, it's a joke that you can have passport, visa, driver's license, and probably 3 more forms of government identification, then you forget to "dot" your "I" and then they can't do any transactions for you because your signature doesn't match.

If that was stupid enough, I was at CAMPU bank once and they filled out some long form, only for me to botch the signature up, twice. We were both pretty irritated and I suggested I practice my signature BEFORE they write up the form.

After a few more failed practice runs, they finally just turned the machine around and let me see it and copy it until I got it right. :facepalm:

Their security measures make no sense.
Happened to me many times in Vietnam where I opened my first account 23 years ago. Obviously, my signature is somehwat different now and I am unable to withdraw money unless I use an ATM.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

I could literally buy you Hanno.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:24 pm
cptrelentless wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:15 am I went and took three grand out of my ABA account a couple of months ago and just showed them my passbook. Could have been anyone.
They have your photo and signature on file, which they check, so "anyone" would have to look exactly like you and be able to forge your signature.
That may be so, but she certainly didn't compare my signature to anything.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

But she would have at least verified your face matched the photo on your account.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Campu Bank has checked visa for quite a few years. I’ve had to find the correct visa for them a couple of times.
I don’t know what happens if it is out of date because I’ve never been in that situation.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

bangkokhooker wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:13 pm I could literally buy you a 50 cent beer if I saved for 6 weeks, Hanno.
FTFY
God
Omnipotent
Cambodia

Post by God »

bangkokhooker wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:13 pm I could literally buy you Hanno.

Make sure you have lots of change left over. You will need it all plus more before I let you through the pearly white gates.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic