Kampot: $18M ADB plan for new town and seaport.

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
walkabout10$ST
Tourist
Australia

Re: Kampot: $18M ADB plan for new town and seaport.

Post by walkabout10$ST »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:16 pm no marinas for sure, as Foreign registered yachts are not allowed into Cambodian waters anymore

900,000 but "The site would attract 1.5 million tourists yearly ", >> so 1/3rd of the tourists ( Almost 40% Chinese/Vietnamese/Korean) that arrive in Cambodia will head to Kampot ( FOR WHAT?))
I dunno, Phnom Penh expats always like kep and kampot for a weekend away , It is on the map for 20 sumthing middle class westerners too and they sure have money to blow.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kampot seaport coming in 2019
11 October 2017
- Construction of the first seaport for tourist vessels in Kampot is due to start by the end of the year. The groundbreaking ceremony for the port project was previously scheduled for September, but was delayed.

The new facility aims to boost tourism in the province by connecting seaborne tourists from Vietnam, Thailand and Preah Sihanouk province.

Provincial tourism department director Soy Sinol said government officials are now preparing the legal framework for construction and taking care of other aspects of the project to ensure the groundbreaking occurs as planned.

“Construction will start by the end of the year because the legal framework and construction studies are being developed smoothly,” Mr Sinol said.
The new facility is expected to come into service by 2019.

An ADB report on tourism in the Greater Mekong Subregion says the seaport is expected to service 360,000 international and domestic tourists when it opens, and some 442,000 by 2020.
Located in Tek Chhou district, the seaport is 300 metres long and can accommodate ships with a passenger capacity of 200 to 300...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5085576/kam ... ming-2019/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kampot ferry construction delayed
27 March 2018 | 08:59 ICT
Construction on a new tourist ferry port located about 6 kilometres from the provincial capital in Kampot province has been delayed, although a Tourism Ministry spokesman promised that construction would begin before the end of this year.
The $10 million port, funded by a loan from the Asian Development Bank (ADB), is set to occupy 4 hectares in the province’s Teuk Chhou district. Construction on the port will take about two-and-a-half years and, once completed, the new facility would be able to service cruise ships from neighbouring Vietnam and Thailand.

“It is delayed because we need to prepare and finish procedures and documents,” Tith Chantha, spokesman for the Tourism Ministry, said on Monday. “The construction will start soon, absolutely in this year.”
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... on-delayed
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

taabarang wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:03 pm There goes the last town with a quasi village ambience . Californification has destroyed the country I loved.
Oh come on, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of small towns/ villages left

Move to the border with Vietnam or the mountains
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:05 pm Kampot ferry construction delayed
27 March 2018 | 08:59 ICT
Construction on a new tourist ferry port located about 6 kilometres from the provincial capital in Kampot province has been delayed, although a Tourism Ministry spokesman promised that construction would begin before the end of this year.
The $10 million port, funded by a loan from the Asian Development Bank (ADB), is set to occupy 4 hectares in the province’s Teuk Chhou district. Construction on the port will take about two-and-a-half years and, once completed, the new facility would be able to service cruise ships from neighbouring Vietnam and Thailand.

“It is delayed because we need to prepare and finish procedures and documents,” Tith Chantha, spokesman for the Tourism Ministry, said on Monday. “The construction will start soon, absolutely in this year.”
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... on-delayed

So what happened to the still-growing hexagon below Bokor that was touted as a cruise ship and shipping port?

Here's the progress quarterly since 2016. Note the development growing into the sea to the west too.

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Unless Disney plants a Mickey Mouse land in Kampot, I can’t imagine anything special that would attract hordes of foreign visitors. Does Kampot or even Kep have something so unique that Thailand or Vietnam just doesn’t have?
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:44 pm Unless Disney plants a Mickey Mouse land in Kampot, I can’t imagine anything special that would attract hordes of foreign visitors. Does Kampot or even Kep have something so unique that Thailand or Vietnam just doesn’t have?
Yeah, a big polyester crab in the sea!
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

look on the positive side;
this might drive the hipsters out of town
the new visa rules will do that
i bet vietnam is happy
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

that genius wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:14 pm
taabarang wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:03 pm There goes the last town with a quasi village ambience . Californification has destroyed the country I loved.
Oh come on, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of small towns/ villages left

Move to the border with Vietnam or the mountains
It is clear that you have overlooked biographical details that permeate my posts. I do live in a small village and while the referenced post was about Kampot, I prized it as a pleasant getaway for me and my family.
Your oversight is really unimportant in my book,

however even our small village has had its charm and character eradicated by an influx of investment. There may be temporary sanctuaries here or there, but the Cambodia I love is quickly being eradicated.

I am an old man and can die anywhere, but I would love for my children to experience the culture that I fell in love with.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Ricky Shaw
Expatriate
Djibouti

Post by Ricky Shaw »

Happy pizza places in Kampot now. Moved from SV. So I heard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic