Tigers kill 20 pigs near Bokor Mountain

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Tigers kill 20 pigs near Bokor Mountain

Post by iluvu »

Klah is Khmer for tiger
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I have about 10 years experience with lions/leopard, and a leopard occasionally gets blood-lust and goes crazy like this, but in this particular case, there are a few problems:

1. What tiger? There are so few left.

2. The complainant is 100% reliable, as we all know.

3. Sounds like a revenge attack for a grab, imho.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

On flaw I find in the constant "there are no more tigers" is that it's always presented as some absolute... without the consideration that tigers don't respect national boundaries, but instead go to where food it. The deforestation could actually lead to bringing more tigers here from surrounding countries by forcing prey species into denser communities near the national borders with those countries. The numbers in Thailand, for example, have been increasing... it's not unlikely that some of those would make their way over here. They expand their territory to whatever they need to find prey... that could easily include crossing over to Cambodia again at some point.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

It's possible OD, but from where? Bokor is surrounded by farms and rice paddies from all sides, and people are encroaching to the steps of the mountain from both the southern and eastern fronts in Kampot (not to mention the mountain top itself). So it's very isolated. The only way a Tiger could get there (as I doubt tigers have hung out there for decades or we would have heard about it) is via a narrow passageway (crossing NHWY 4) to Kirirum and beyond that to the Cardamoms (which are still quite large). Sure, à tiger might have crossed a few km of open terrain and a highway, but it seems highly unlikely that a big cat like that would cross human inhabited areas to reach Bokor.

EDIT I'm no expert on the matter, just showing it how I see it, geographically-speaking.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Big cats, in my experience, don't give 2 shits if an area is human inhabited or not really, the big issue is they don't like to cross open ground (but likely will, on occasion). Mostly they travel at night, and mostly Kampot sleeps at night... so still rather likely in my opinion.

And using sat view from google maps, i see wooded areas pretty much constantly connecting to some degree or another from the border to bokor... not big wide ones, but also more than a simple paddy tree line.

Not at all saying that's what this is... just saying the "there are no tigers in cambodia" seems pretty silly as a finite argument.
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

Is the gentleman senator suggesting that this is how the pigs were found: all lying peacefully with their back legs together, heads in circular peaceful sarcophagus, almost like they had been dragged there, or is this the way they were brought in by those who found them, after they had been slaughtered but not eaten by the tigers?
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Tim Linkinwater wrote:Is the gentleman senator suggesting that this is how the pigs were found: all lying peacefully with their back legs together, heads in circular peaceful sarcophagus, almost like they had been dragged there, or is this the way they were brought in by those who found them, after they had been slaughtered but not eaten by the tigers?
that's what seems off about this most... they weren't eaten. tiger(s) would have eaten a significant portion of those.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Tim Linkinwater wrote:Is the gentleman senator suggesting that this is how the pigs were found: all lying peacefully with their back legs together, heads in circular peaceful sarcophagus, almost like they had been dragged there, or is this the way they were brought in by those who found them, after they had been slaughtered but not eaten by the tigers?
That was my initial reaction, looks like a mob hit that has been staged for effect!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jo Bold
Expatriate

Post by Jo Bold »

The pictures are from Mr. Reththys page, there was no comment.

My guess would be, they were out on a field killed or wounded by a lightning stroke close to them and the survivors where shot.

Denny i said 'wild' tigers, you will probably find tigers in zoos or rescue centers in cambodia. And yes maybe someday they will be back in nature. But for sure the first sighting in 6 years wouldnt be in the Bokor area. They wont come over here from vietnam; they will come in from the north or north-west.

And as Bokor is already occupied by the wild elephants there is no more place for tigers ;)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

OD, I think your comments are true re tigers in India/Bangladesh where tigers are protected.

The Khmers see anything on 4 legs as food/ money and there is no such thing as a protected species.

I suspect there may be some in the Cardamoms, but very few.
Last edited by vladimir on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic