The CEO dilemma

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

The CEO dilemma

Post by Soi Dog »

This site was started in response to bannings and thread/post deletions by admin and mods at that evil forum. I get that. But if almost every thread on CEO is going to become a boring circle jerk between the same two annoying posters saying the same childish, predictable things to each other and derailing each thread, then you will quickly find that is as bad as over-moderation.

Here is my solution: if I put someone on "ignore", that person should not be able to read my posts or comment on any thread I start (and vice versa). I believe as of now, if I put someone on ignore, then I can not see their posts but they can still see mine. You end up with threads that show you nothing but "Poster X is on your ignore list and so their comment is hidden" or something similar.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: The CEO dilemma

Post by General Mackevili »

Soi Dog wrote:... if almost every thread on CEO is going to become a boring circle jerk between the same two annoying posters saying the same childish, predictable things to each other and derailing each thread, then you will quickly find that is as bad as over-moderation.
I feel you.

Give us a few more days. We've only been up and running for about 6 days now and have been super busy just making sure the site actually "works."

I've also been too busy to follow every thread lately with everything going on, so please feel free to name the 2 posters you're referring to, as I'm not sure who you're referring to.

Again, everyone on CEO has the right to freedom of speech and to express their likes and dislikes about almost anything and everyone, but that does NOT mean will will allow a few users to ruin it for everyone else by posting insane crap in every thread.

Thanks, and more feedback on this is appreciated.

P.S. I don't know if that mod is possible, but will look into it and see if it's something we want to use.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

StroppyChop behave yourself.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

General Mackevili wrote: I feel you.

Give us a few more days. We've only been up and running for about 6 days now and have been super busy just making sure the site actually "works."

I've also been too busy to follow every thread lately with everything going on, so please feel free to name the 2 posters you're referring to, as I'm not sure who you're referring to.

Again, everyone on CEO has the right to freedom of speech and to express their likes and dislikes about almost anything and everyone, but that does NOT mean will will allow a few users to ruin it for everyone else by posting insane crap in every thread.

Thanks, and more feedback on this is appreciated.

P.S. I don't know if that mod is possible, but will look into it and see if it's something we want to use.
^ Thanks for the reply. I thought it was best to bring this up quickly, before it gets out of hand. I know it's early days here and I like the way this forum is coming together so far. :thumb:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

flying chicken wrote: behave yourself.
And Flying Chicken, you're coming very close to posting too much senseless crap.

Please make an effort to try and stay slightly on topic, and not just going around posting cute jokes.

Not a warning to you, I'm just asking if you could tone it down half a notch.

I'd be grateful, thanks.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

That is what I like about this fledgling forum.You ask something and it is genuinely considered. Obviously not all ideas are followed through but at least they are considered.
I had the need to PM a fire breathing admin over the weekend three time and I got three very fast and positive responses.

There is a need for bone cutting banter, so maybe we should have 'The Colosseum' an area where you enter at your own risk and all gloves are off. Obviously, what happens in the Colosseum, stays in the Colosseum.

No bringing your bitch fights out into the main forums, now that would be very naughty. It would, however allow our 'Keyboard Warriors', Horace (2014) WARNING: Liam Strothers in PP, Phnom Penh, K440 (Reference to where I heard that great phrase, not a dig, btw) to enjoy their Forum Fun, without affecting others.

Just a thought

:whip:
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Yes! Morituri te salutant!
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Two men enter ! One man leave! Two men enter! One man leave!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

interesting concept. i'm only commenting here atm to make sure i check this again when i'm sober...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

EdinWigan wrote:That is what I like about this fledgling forum.You ask something and it is genuinely considered.

...so maybe we should have 'The Colosseum' an area where you enter at your own risk and all gloves are off...

Thanks! ! We're really trying to run CEO as a community!

Re: the banter forum...

You must be reading my PM's! ! These things are already being discussed, as requested by fellow CEOers...

And thanks for understanding that we are unable to use EVERY good idea a member suggests to us, but each and every one get serious consideration and are often discussed privately.

Keep the feedback/suggestions coming, everyone!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic