visa-related questions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
fuzzywuzzy
Tourist
United States of America

visa-related questions

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

hi all~

here's the situation:

(i'm sure this question has been asked before...)

i am currently working at a school in p.p. teaching english. before i flew here, i was told by my employer that i should apply for an ordinary visa- not a tourist visa- when i arrived at the airport in phnom penh. when i arrived, i did just that- made sure the ordinary (e) visa box was checked on the application form- and handed my paper to the man behind the counter, then told by the same man to go to the pickup window and wait for my visa. when i was given my visa, though, it was the wrong one, a tourist visa. what could have happened here??

now it would seem that i am faced with having to make a visa run to another country. is my assumption correct, or is it possible to stay in-country and transfer my tourist visa into an e-visa? if not, what would be the cheapest possible visa run option? i don't mind taking the bus. i have heard that the run to vietnam is complicated and a pain in the behind, so i thought of bangkok...

all advice is much appreciated
:)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: visa-related questions

Post by Jerry Atrick »

That would be the oldest scam in the book.

If you would have made a scene then and there it would have been set right at the time.

Now, leave, and come again.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

fuzzywuzzy wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:51 am what could have happened here??

It could have been an honest mistake by the immigration officer. Or, if you are from a non-Western country or have non-white skin, the officer might have done it intentionally because he doesn't think you're worthy of living in Cambodia.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:09 am That would be the oldest scam in the book.

If you would have made a scene then and there it would have been set right at the time.

I wouldn't call it a "scam" unless they charged him $35 for the tourist visa.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

OP...how much did you pay for your Tourist visa? and what is your Nationality?

Yes, you will need to make a border run in order to obtain the E-type (Ordinary) VOA. Some agencies will facilitate it for You, but it is illegal and expensive, not to mention risky because they just get a taxi or motodop to take it to the border.

Easiest way is to just hop on a cheap return flight to BKK...or go to via a land border with Thailand, but be aware that the Immigration officers at the land borders will try to charge you extra.

When you receive your passport back, check that they have issued you the correct VOA type, if not then sort it out there and then.

If you happen to be from a country that is on the unofficial non-publicised list of undesirables, then you will need to apply for your E-type visa, you'll need supporting documentation, from a Cambodian Embassy abroad.
Jimmy Crow
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jimmy Crow »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:11 am
fuzzywuzzy wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:51 am what could have happened here??

It could have been an honest mistake by the immigration officer. Or, if you are from a non-Western country or have non-white skin, the officer might have done it intentionally because he doesn't think you're worthy of living in Cambodia.
So only white people are deemed worthy of living in Cambodia,lmao,yeah worthy of teaching English for minimum wage rofl.
Everyone is equal. Everyone has a place. No one is written off, because there is worth and goodness in every life... That is the Republican ideal. And if we won't defend it, who will?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:09 am That would be the oldest scam in the book.

scam for $5>>> i'd say u ticked the wrong box AND if u gave them $35,they thought u were tipping them :facepalm:

Head to a border,Vietnam is closest or fly to Bangkok for a shopping weekend.
ALWAYS, before u leave immigration everywhere, check u received the correct visa, extension...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:51 pm

scam for $5>>> i'd say u ticked the wrong box AND if u gave them $35,they thought u were tipping them :facepalm:
nope, it happens, happened to me the other year, ticked the Evisa box, checked my passport when i got it back and it was a Tourist Visa, so i immedietly told them i didnt want a Tourist Visa and to give me the Ordinary Visa i originally asked for, they took my passport back, 5 minutes later i got the correct visa
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

So only white people are deemed worthy of living in Cambodia,lmao,yeah worthy of teaching English for minimum wage rofl
africans get the worst treatment
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic