Storage in Sihanoukville or Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kentish Man
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Kentish Man »

Can anybody recommend a reliable company where I can store two 20kg suitcases in Sihanoukville or Phnom Penh for two-months?

The only companies I can find on Facebook etc. seem to have gone out of business.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Storage in Sihanoukville or Phnom Penh

Post by obelisks »

This is an interesting topic. I.e. why is there such a huge variation in the availability of storage space from place to place?
On a recent trip back to the UK I noticed many big companies with multiple sites providing very modern secure storage space in many locations.
In Pattaya in Thailand where I live one guy has invested an absolute fortune building a huge multi-storey tower building all devoted to storage - it's huge.
See the pictures here
http://pattayaselfstorage.co.th/index.php

It also goes without saying that there are many companies offering this service in Bangkok as you would expect.
But then you go up to Chiang Mai in Thailand and its lousy. There is just one place about 10 to 15 km outside the city (very inconvenient location) and it's not even individual storage.
It's actually a huge furniture storage warehouse where your possessions are simply kept in a corner. huh ? When I saw it I said to the owner no thanks! I told the owner to divide an area into small sections even with cyclone wire fencing material and he said he was going to do it but I still don't believe he has. . Sure there is on site security but because there aren't many staff there is nothing to stop someone from entering the warehouse and taking your box even if it was by mistake. Apart from that there is nothing else in the whole of Chiang Mai in terms of self storage.

There is obviously a huge difference between the pattern of demand for such a service between place to place
but I can't work out what makes people living in Pattaya wanting to pay for storage space and yet in Chiang Mai there is evidently very low demand. And the same applies to Cambodia.

I wonder if it is a security issue?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Storage in Sihanoukville or Phnom Penh

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Many guesthouses will store your luggage for a small fee, Red Fox on 136 is one that comes to mind.

Also I believe Asian Tigers offer secure storage facilities in PP.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic