Cambodian Ingenuity...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Cambodian Ingenuity...

Post by OrangeDragon »

flying chicken wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:the Khmer are dam clever
they work with what they got and being creative about it...ok I guess that's in the clever category.
Yeah, pretty much an exact example of the definition, lol.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

hahahha, I loled.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

The more developed the country, it seems, the more distant we become from the 'Make Do and Mend' attitude held by previous generations. If you do not have access to a main manufacturers repair facility, your choice is improvise, adapt and overcome or do without.
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

I saw some big ass tuk tuk TRUCK cobbled together quite nicely. It'd be nice to start some event where guys could showcase stuff like this and the mountain bikes. Prize. Incentive to do it more. Make a center for it maybe. I mean this stuff MIGHT be organized and encouraged and done more. I've seen at least 5 Camry PICK UP TRUCK conversions. So someone is doing it but not organized in any way I bet. Young guys MIGHT go INTO this kinda thing if they saw where it could go. I got a bucketload of Craftsman socketsets, but they're all standard. Might bring over the ratchets and breaker bars tho n donate em to some shop that did good work.

that Mark Latham guy might have some input but I don't see him here and frankly bent that he don't post about this more :)

Personally I want a popup fold out camper tuk tuk truck :D

maybe we could comission wacky stuff like that towards a contest run every year with "big" hooplah. Kinda like Junkyard Wars haha. A moto that'll float across a river, rear wheel resting on rollers hooked up to paddlewheels :ROFL2:

give them inventive buggers a fun outlet to their ingenuity, with a prize. Get some Khmer/expat interaction an fun?

I know, can't happen for 100 reasons. But I imagine it would be a BLAST.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

One of my many jobs in US was front end and brake mechanic used a machine costing hundreds of thousands of dollars with all sorts delicate precision stuff. Here they do a four wheel alignment with a piece of string.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

Necessity is the Mother of Invention .. And boy, we're they needy!

And I saw a cool back tire tire chain (like snow chains) made from the chain from a bike. Grabbed dirt and that Dae Lim climbed! In Mondulkiri.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Mr Curious wrote:
Personally I want a popup fold out camper tuk tuk truck :D
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Khartoum
Expatriate
Sudan

Post by Khartoum »

frank lee bent wrote:the Khmer are dam clever
Damn write..

The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Thats 1 thing I admire in this country. They dont waste anything. My favorite guy in the street is Nek Twer Gong Hal..Jan Krong Gas. He fixes home fans and gas stoves. I broke my oscillating fan on purpose one day just to watch him fix it. I love it.

In america its just throw away everything...fucking sad and pisses me off. My Evo phone...I loved that thing. I wanted the same phone or fix whats wrong. Nope just buy a new and updated one...I just wanted my old phone back.

Anybody ever see the Tuk Tuks rigged with a tv and hammocks? Not bad.

You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Most times we see our tuktuk in it's parking spot (when we're not using it, obviously) someone's set up home in it. There will usually be at least one adult and a few kids just camped out. It's a mini tuktuk and novel to them, and they clearly enjoy just sitting in it. We've been accepted as part of the street village on our little corner, so usually its people we know, but occasionally someone not from the immediate area will be in it and skulk off guiltily when they realise it's ours. We normally just laugh and invite them to sit down again.

Edit: Normally before I start pulling out into the traffic, I have to check that little fingers haven't: switched the lights on; left it in a creative gear; pulled the reverse lever on; etc.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic