To tip or not to tip... or should it be banned?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Re: To tip or not to tip... or should it be banned?

Post by flying chicken »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:...but low salaries are, directly or indirectly, the result of tipping. Tips shift the responsibility of paying workers from the employer to the consumer. It's essentially an excuse to pay crap wages.
"Hey, don't worry about this crap salary, you'll make tips!"
How about just paying workers a fair/livable wage in the first place? So in a way, giving tips can be counter-intuitive because it perpetuates the whole thing. "Oh, they make a crappy salary so I should tips them..." Well, why doesn't the employer pay them more in the first place? Sure, maybe that would mean slightly higher prices, but at least the employer is held responsible for providing a decent salary. The whole concept is stupid. Do any of you tip flight attendants? Why not?! They don't exactly make big bucks either and they provide a service. The list goes on and on...
Well said. This has been my view as well. Isn't tipping is a choice? Why is it the standard where one has to tip when dining at American restaurants. Yes, I read you post OD, but still disagreed with the logic.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

I also think tips are a voluntary, informal additional payment for service. So I think it's strange that some businesses in the West add a line for tips on their bills, as if it was a transaction requirement.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Once again we are discussing a Khmer issue from a western perspective, and we are asking about the practice in a SE Asian country. Kinda dumb.

We need an un-westernised Khmer to tell us.

It remind some of the threads where we discuss whether a Vietnamese person finds the term ' Yuon' derogatory, or a black person finds ' nigger' offensive.

My personal view is that it is an American tradition, so let them keep it in America.

I agree totally with BKL, just like US elections, the US public have been hoodwinked into making profits for evil capitalist pigs.Lying scumbags.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

vladimir wrote:Once again we are discussing a Khmer issue from a western perspective, and we are asking about the practice in a SE Asian country. Kinda dumb.

We need an un-westernised Khmer to tell us.

It remind some of the threads where we discuss whether a Vietnamese person finds the term ' Yuon' derogatory, or a black person finds ' nigger' offensive.

My personal view is that it is an American tradition, so let them keep it in America.

I agree totally with BKL, just like US elections, the US public have been hoodwinked into making profits for evil capitalist pigs.Lying scumbags.
No, we are discussing a foreign habit and whether we should introduce it into Cambodia. You've banged on about khmer lacking certain morals, which implies you want them to inherit the more positive traditions of others. No difference.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

he-he, SP is bang on schedule, I think he's got me on update.

Where did I bang on about (you imply ALL) Khmers lacking certain morals? Select ones, definitely, but never all.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

As the all american which I em....I do not tip khmers. My gf insist I do but she just wants me to do it to show that Im Mr. Money Bags. Now when I go to my favorite places here that actually hook me up....like my khmer coffee shop or the India place I pretty much consider my office I always leave something behind.

In america...if you dont double the tax which is the minimum your a greedy piece of shit. Those waiters and waitresses get paid under the minimum wage and now the government is looking to tax that aslo. My best friend was a waiter for awhile and he depended heavily on tips. And his daguerreotyping was classic, He would just simply tell me about tipping..."ask yourself would they do the same for you" and their is your answer.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

vladimir wrote:he-he, SP is bang on schedule, I think he's got me on update.

Where did I bang on about (you imply ALL) Khmers lacking certain morals? Select ones, definitely, but never all.
Lol. I recall you mentioning distasteful aspects of general Khmer culture. You're free to do that, just as others are free to argue that aspects of other cultures be introduced to Cambodia.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Joon wrote:I also think tips are a voluntary, informal additional payment for service. So I think it's strange that some businesses in the West add a line for tips on their bills, as if it was a transaction requirement.
I think the owner is too cheap to print a new menu so just writes +15% at the bottom or it could be a trick to make the price increase less obvious.

Personally I don't tip much because the cost of service is already included in the price.

1 egg at the market- 500 riel
1 egg at a restaurant- 2000 riel

What is the tip for?
Scarier than malaria.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

EdinWigan wrote:I think this is a real good thread and some very valid points have been made already, for and against tipping. I would like to contribute but really think what I add needs to build on the previous, valid arguments made. I just simply need to make a quality retort but it is just not easy, anyone got any tips?
"Get a real job."
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

ali baba wrote:
Joon wrote:I also think tips are a voluntary, informal additional payment for service. So I think it's strange that some businesses in the West add a line for tips on their bills, as if it was a transaction requirement.
I think the owner is too cheap to print a new menu so just writes +15% at the bottom or it could be a trick to make the price increase less obvious.

Personally I don't tip much because the cost of service is already included in the price.

1 egg at the market- 500 riel
1 egg at a restaurant- 2000 riel

What is the tip for?
AFAIMC, I tip people who I have a personality crush on.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic