Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

Post by xandreu »

I've just renewed my visa for 6 months (wanted 12 months but need to renew my passport) and I also applied for a work permit at the same place (Palm Tours). I was told by the woman there that from next month, even if you want to extend it just for 1 month, you will need a letter of employment and a work permit.

It's not a problem for me as I do work and I'm waiting for my work permit to come through, but just thought I'd let you guys know what I was told (in case you didn't already know).
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia Visa Updates For Expats & Tourists 2018 (Visa On Arrival, Extensions, Retirement Visas, 3/6/12 Months)

Post by timmydownawell »

Took my passport in (A 2 Z Travel) for my EG on Friday, it's still not back. Normally takes 3-4 days, but now taking a week or more, I'm told.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:04 pm Took my passport in (A 2 Z Travel) for my EG on Friday, it's still not back. Normally takes 3-4 days, but now taking a week or more, I'm told.
MIne took a full 10 days to get back. EG from Lucky Moto (although the stamp was dated at two days after I handed it in). I renewed a month early and got the full month added to the 6 month EG, which is now a 7 month EG.

At least I am sorted for the short term.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

cautious colin wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:48 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:04 pm Took my passport in (A 2 Z Travel) for my EG on Friday, it's still not back. Normally takes 3-4 days, but now taking a week or more, I'm told.
MIne took a full 10 days to get back. EG from Lucky Moto (although the stamp was dated at two days after I handed it in). I renewed a month early and got the full month added to the 6 month EG, which is now a 7 month EG.

Good for you. I need to renew my passport but will wait until a month before my 3mo EG expires... then do a visa run to Thailand and return on my new passport, get E visa and apply for a six month EG. That would see me through until mid February, if they grant it.

Although I am toying with the idea of going to Bangkok and applying for a 3mo E visa at the embassy there instead of the one month E VOA, which would give me a couple more months. Perhaps PSD-Kiwi can weigh in on this?

TBH I just want to sell my place and move on, with any luck I won't need more than this three month EG to do that, but somehow I doubt it.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Timmydownawell

There is no 3 mth E-type visa available from Embassies abroad...you get a 1 month E-type visa which is valid for a single entry into Cambodia for up to 3 months from the date of issue.

Make sense? So many people get confused by this.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:30 pm Timmydownawell

There is no 3 mth E-type visa available from Embassies abroad...you get a 1 month E-type visa which is valid for a single entry into Cambodia for up to 3 months from the date of issue.

Make sense? So many people get confused by this.
Ah ok. Border run it is, then. Cheers.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:15 pm

Good for you. I need to renew my passport but will wait until a month before my 3mo EG expires... then do a visa run to Thailand and return on my new passport, get E visa and apply for a six month EG. That would see me through until mid February, if they grant it.

Although I am toying with the idea of going to Bangkok and applying for a 3mo E visa at the embassy there instead of the one month E VOA, which would give me a couple more months. Perhaps PSD-Kiwi can weigh in on this?

TBH I just want to sell my place and move on, with any luck I won't need more than this three month EG to do that, but somehow I doubt it.
You do realize that the old and new passports are linked electronically and also old passport number is written in the new passport also your name will come up that you have already had an EG too
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

beaker wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:24 pm

You do realize that the old and new passports are linked electronically and also old passport number is written in the new passport also your name will come up that you have already had an EG too
As far as I am aware nobody has proved nor disproved this theory as yet. So far it's been proven you can get an EG with multiple previous EBs. Still waiting to see if anyone can successfully obtain a second EG. But given my passport is due to expire I am acting as guinea pig to test the waters in this regard.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:30 pm

As far as I am aware nobody has proved nor disproved this theory as yet. So far it's been proven you can get an EG with multiple previous EBs. Still waiting to see if anyone can successfully obtain a second EG. But given my passport is due to expire I am acting as guinea pig to test the waters in this regard.
Ok, but it is written right in the new passport "This is a replacement for passport # (with the old number)
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

I would guess that passports are linked electronically but there is nothing in my current passport stating a previous number or that I have even had a passport.

If you leave the country and come back on a new visa I don’t see why they would reject an EG application. Especially if the only visa in the new passport. I’m hoping so anyway.

Edit - UK passport doesn’t have the old number, not sure about others
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic