Giving Flowers

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Giving Flowers

Post by Kammekor »

Giving flowers to people is not common in Cambodian culture, and in general it's related to bad luck and death, so better beware.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Giving a watch to a girlfriend is not a good idea either. They think it is a "go away" present.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

My wife had an afterthought on this topic. While her granny did indeed tell her to not climb frangipani trees because baisach lived there there was a practical non-mystical reason as well. My wife was warned that the branches were fragile and she could easily fall.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
jmagic
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jmagic »

A lot of flowers for sale in markets and along the road are supposed to be placed in shrines/given to ghosts. To be safe, give roses to the living.
Manga
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Manga »

Thanks for all your help.

I think I'll just resort to a box of chocolates.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:29 am Giving flowers to people is not common in Cambodian culture, and in general it's related to bad luck and death, so better beware.
I bought my lady a lovely mixed bouquet a few months ago. She responded with a slight smile & asked me ''what's wrong, what did i do?''
Tried to explain that I thought I was being the thoughtful partner.. She says she no likes flowers.

Couple weeks later I bring some laRoucch or something like that chocolates with same intent.
Was a no go but I enjoyed them immensely.

The moral here is I just give her a $50 or so every now & then again & she does what ever she does.
Works for me & learning every day. :hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic