What's the smallest caliber firearm you'd use to protect you

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: What's the smallest caliber firearm you'd use to protect

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I'm not saying 9mm has a lot of firepower, I'm saying it's easier to handle. Shooting off a 45 consecutively with accuracy is difficult. So given the tunnel vision and all that, a 9 mil has greater chance of actually reaching it's intended target for the average shooter than if they were wielding a larger caliber firearm with more kickback.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
picooie
Expatriate

Post by picooie »

LTO,
I think you got it right. A 12 gauge pistol grip pump for the home. If you feel you need to carry a concealed gun in this country maybe you have some weird issues or problems.

picooie
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

I find 12g pistol grip shotgun, like the SPAS 12, totally hammer the wrist. Not that it isn't a good choice but it is heavy on the wrist and rather long for home defence.
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
picooie
Expatriate

Post by picooie »

Spas is a big gun. I was talking about either a Mossberg 500 or the Remington version. If you get a 20 inch barrel it holds 5 express magnums which will stop a small herd of people.

picooie
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Home defense? In AmeriKa within arms reach in order: A Mossberg Ulra-mag pump 12ga three and a half in shells,with hollow point slugs/armor defeating rounds/incendiary, a 20in compensated barrel and laser sight. Next to it was an AK-47 I built/rebuilt with a 75 round drum and Vietnam era armor defeating rounds and next was a Romak semi-auto squad-marksmen rifle in 7.62x54R Russian armor defeating/sniper ammo and a telescopic site with a bullet-drop compensator. (I had a lot of corrupt police problems after I sued them in Federal Court.)

The US Army went to the 9mm because women generally can't handle the .45acp. Most spec-ops have gone back to the .45acp for side-arms, but use the 9mm in sub-machine guns (spry & pray.) As I said before, put a 9mm cartridge next to a .45acp cartridge and which one would you rather be shot with? When it gets close and personal, give me the .45acp every time.

Pictured is my favorite revolver a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44 special. I had it loaded with hollow-point rounds to almost .44mag pressure.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Sailorman wrote:The US Army went to the 9mm because women generally can't handle the .45acp. Most spec-ops have gone back to the .45acp for side-arms, but use the 9mm in sub-machine guns (spry & pray.) As I said before, put a 9mm cartridge next to a .45acp cartridge and which one would you rather be shot with? When it gets close and personal, give me the .45acp every time.
Now you're just being sexist. Several militaries adopted 9mm way before women were even allowed to join any trade besides nursing. The Browning is what, 70 years old?! The US adopted the 9mm to make life simpler and homogenize side arms. 9mils had already been used extensively by fellow NATO members with good results and they had tons of models to choose from. It was the logical choice. I highly doubt there was a "woman" factor in their accuracy/reliability tests...
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I'm not saying 9mm has a lot of firepower, I'm saying it's easier to handle. Shooting off a 45 consecutively with accuracy is difficult. So given the tunnel vision and all that, a 9 mil has greater chance of actually reaching it's intended target for the average shooter than if they were wielding a larger caliber firearm with more kickback.
It varies from shooter to shooter and gun to gun. I was consistently more accurate with my Sig Sauer 1911 ( .45acp) than I was with my Glock 19 (9mm)

In general, smaller caliber bullet = more accuracy, but hey, I don't know why, I just fucking love my model 1911 and it sits perfect in my grip.

I will say this, I am more accurate but slower as the muzzle jump is obviously greater. Put a .45acp round next to a 9mm round and tell me which you would rather be shot with. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug and if I am facing someone in a lethal force situation, I would pick a .45acp round any day over any 9mm chambered pistola.

.38 S&W revolver " Saturday Night Special" with magnum rounds will do the trick. Snubnose is nice for pocket holster concealment, but the accuracy on that gun is incredible low. But one chest hit and its over.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I call BS on the "women were no factor in the downsize to 9mm from the .45acp.in the US military. Yes, Nations in Europe have used the 9mm for years, but that doesn't make it right. Its a fact that most women have smaller hands and can't handle the full house .45acp round. There are some that can, but they are in the minority. With the PC attitude pushed by the Femi-Nazi/gay movement in the US, the US government chose a foreign make pistol in a downsized round. (notice I said foreign make, not made.) There were/are plenty of US weapons companies which do/could produce a double action semi-auto along the lines of the tried and true 1911 in .45acp, but smaller hands can't take the punishment of a real cartridge.
I know politics wouldn't let the US government go to a Com-Bloc round, but the 7.62X25 round is far superior to the 9mm. Its .30cal and uses a necked down cartridge. Its used in pistols and Com-Bloc sub-machine guns. Far superior to the 9mm. Attached is a picture of one of my Com-Bloc pistols in 7.62x25.

OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

The NATO thing and the women thing were actually sort of hand in hand at the time the change was made. It was a blend of both factors, because the US isn't really well known for adopting NATO rounds just because NATO is doing it. In fact with the 5.56 it was the US pushing NATO to adopt the US's standards, not the other way around. Had they chosen the .45 NATO would likely have changed with them as well. We supply a lot of their ammo... they'll do what we say. 9mm IS easier for those with smaller hands, which genetically tends to be women but also includes smaller statured males, to handle... it's also cheaper. But much less effective, especially with any kind of body armor in the mix. The pellet is way too small to have much impact on an adrenaline filled combatant wearing a flack jacket... where even without penetration a .45 is likely to cause damage and incapacitate.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

9mm were never meant to penetrate body armor... And a side arm is never meant to be an offensive weapon anyways. For a soldier I mean... It's a last-resort defensive weapon.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic