People talk because there is good reason

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Rama
Expatriate

People talk because there is good reason

Post by Rama »

Came across this proverb; (Khmer proverbs often take me a few minutes to figure out)

មានសំរាមទើបឆ្កែជុះ

Which the Headley 1997 dictionary says is a proverb meaning: "People talk because there is good reason"

But what is the better literal (word for word) translation of មានសំរាមទើបឆ្កែជុះ
A) There is rubbish AND THEN (consequently) the dog defecates.
B) After the dog defecates there is waste

I think it's gotta be A? Because ទើប means 'then, only then, next'.
In fact the now I've written this post I'm 98% sure that A is the best. It makes sense in that people like to talk and gossip about trash news.
But confirmation please and any alternative translations?
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: People talk because there is good reason

Post by Joon »

I also understand it as a dog only relieves his droppings where there's garbage already.

So it seems to be the idea that trash talk calls for trash talk?
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

[quote="Joon"]I also understand it as a dog only relieves his droppings where there's garbage already.

So it seems to be the idea that trash talk calls for trash talk?[/quote]

You are so wrong with that theory. It was only just this morning that I saw a neighbor across the road sweep the area outside their house, and as soon as he went inside one of the 20 dogs in our street came along, turned around 2 or 3 times, then did a crap.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Could this possibly be the equivalent of "where there's smoke, there's fire"?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

That would make sense, Stroppy.

I personally love how colorful and picturesque Cambodian sayings and idioms are :lol:
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

Joon wrote:That would make sense, Stroppy.

I personally love how colorful and picturesque Cambodian sayings and idioms are :lol:
Me too, I'd love if you'd post some more. I have a book of them, but I don't understand what a lot of them mean.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

giblet wrote:
Joon wrote:That would make sense, Stroppy.

Me too, I'd love if you'd post some more. I have a book of them, but I don't understand what a lot of them mean.
I'm getting back into studying now that I've got some more free time (and a new laptop & other study accessories... so no more procrastinating! ) if and when I come across some proverbs I'll put them up here for some help (and to give me a break)...I'm not that poetic (or smart) so help deciphering them would be appreciated.
StroppyChops wrote:Could this possibly be the equivalent of "where there's smoke, there's fire"?
That makes sense!
My very first reflex instinctive translation upon reading the proverb was that it meant 'After gossiping, someone gets tarnished with a bad reputation'. But StroppyChops & Joons are better.
starkmonster
Expatriate

Post by starkmonster »

If you like sayings, go get this book. Hours of confusion for all the family:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic