Cambodian Coca-Cola meets Mr Science

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodian Coca-Cola meets Mr Science

Post by dagenham »

Tim Linkinwater wrote:39g of sugar in a can of coke. Seriously? I can picture that amount in a heap - scary.

I occasionally let my son have a Fanta, but some of his friends quaff it all the time. I guess he does when he's out of sight too, though he claims not. :(

How much is in a can of beer, as a matter of interest?
Interestingly, not that much difference apparently...

diabetes can't tell what the source is that causes highly unbalanced insulin...so it goes...

drunks and coke addicts take note...or not...

http://www.hamsnetwork.org/carbs/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rning.html
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

LTO wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:
LTO wrote: I am now looking for a BRIX hydrometer, if anybody knows where I might be able to find one.
At a guess: Celabora on street 172?
Thank you very much. I checked the medical supply places and they didnt have it, but it's outside their field. I'll try Celabora.
I went to Celabora on Street 172 this afternoon. They were closed, and from what I could see through the gate, it appears they may no longer be located there. I'll try again tomorrow, but it looks like I may have to find a different source.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Shit, sorry. :-/

I'm going back to the US in a month and can mail you one if you strike out fully, lol.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

dagenham wrote:
Tim Linkinwater wrote:39g of sugar in a can of coke. Seriously? I can picture that amount in a heap - scary.

I occasionally let my son have a Fanta, but some of his friends quaff it all the time. I guess he does when he's out of sight too, though he claims not. :(

How much is in a can of beer, as a matter of interest?
Interestingly, not that much difference apparently...

diabetes can't tell what the source is that causes highly unbalanced insulin...so it goes...

drunks and coke addicts take note...or not...

http://www.hamsnetwork.org/carbs/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rning.html
Tested and proven (for myself, at least) that Diet Coke has a greater negative impact on T2D than regular Coke.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

I have about three (03) Cokes per year and add lemon when I do. Anybody else add lemon juice to their Coke?

Anyway, definitely loving the ingredients:

1) water - OK, check, that's good for you.

2) sugar - OK, sugar is not necessarily bad for you, but here they give us no details about what kind of sugar it is. Obviously, it's not pure natural cane sugar/brown sugar.

3) caramel color - sounds nice, but is an artificially produced food additive that is "generally recognized as safe".

4) phosphoric acid - whoa, man... now we're getting "heavy". According to wikipedia: "In addition to being a chemical reagent, phosphoric acid has a wide variety of uses, including as a rust inhibitor, food additive, dental and orthop(a)edic etchant, electrolyte, flux, dispersing agent, industrial etchant, fertilizer feedstock, and component of home cleaning products."

Apparently it's used to counteract the sugar. (Food-grade phosphoric acid is used to acidify foods and beverages such as various colas. It provides a tangy and sour taste.)

5) flavorings - this must be their "secret formula", which is a trade secret, so again no details are given.

Wikipedia adds: "Coca-Cola now uses a cocaine-free coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey. In the United States, the Stepan Company is the only manufacturing plant authorized by the Federal Government to import and process the coca plant, which it obtains mainly from Peru and, to a lesser extent, Bolivia. Besides producing the coca flavoring agent for Coca-Cola, the Stepan Company extracts cocaine from the coca leaves, which it sells to Mallinckrodt, a St. Louis, Missouri, pharmaceutical manufacturer that is the only company in the United States licensed to purify cocaine for medicinal use."

6) caffeine - OK, check, good old caffeine, naturally found in tea, coffee and cocoa.

So, all in all, it doesn't sound so bad, but:

"On May 5, 2014, Coca-Cola said they are working to remove a controversial ingredient, brominated vegetable oil, from all of their drinks."

Oh, well... Anyway, like the Burger King thread, we can surmise that for some reason, some people like to consume really weird processed shit and consider it to be some sort of gourmet product.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

"2) sugar - OK, sugar is not necessarily bad for you, but here they give us no details about what kind of sugar it is. Obviously, it's not pure natural cane sugar/brown sugar."

All forms of sugar are unhealthy for you...in excess...do your homework...do the research...we need no added "sugar" at all...in fresh fruit and vegetables is more than enough "sugar"...

sugar = bad for humans...limit consumption if you want to be healthy...obviously...no discussion on this cute little factoid...

Just 1 shitty crap Coke is in excess...obviously more is just more bad...remarkable that people drink that stuff...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Thanks to rainman it has now been exposed as a total wind-up...this absurd coke taste bullshit...

Oh shit! Rain-Dog! of course...it's a total piss-take...it must be...no one is that daft...

especially LTO...maybe he was "Dude Cowboy" too with that Starbucks t-shirt campaign farce...

brilliant, I have to admit...I completely fell for the whole thing...

Bravo - LTO! You had me fooled...drinking several cans of coke a day and you having a nervous breakdown, doing "scientific" experiments, etc. because it tastes different...
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I don't think anyone's pretending it's gourmet... just like no smokers believe there fucking vitamin C in the things.

We know it's not the healthy choice... just like so many other choices people make. But we still enjoy it regardless.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

"Wikipedia adds: "Coca-Cola now uses a cocaine-free coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey. In the United States, the Stepan Company is the only manufacturing plant authorized by the Federal Government to import and process the coca plant, which it obtains mainly from Peru and, to a lesser extent, Bolivia. Besides producing the coca flavoring agent for Coca-Cola, the Stepan Company extracts cocaine from the coca leaves, which it sells to Mallinckrodt, a St. Louis, Missouri, pharmaceutical manufacturer that is the only company in the United States licensed to purify cocaine for medicinal use."............ Great info. This made the whole thread worth the read.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

LTO wrote:
LTO wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:
LTO wrote: I am now looking for a BRIX hydrometer, if anybody knows where I might be able to find one.
At a guess: Celabora on street 172?
Thank you very much. I checked the medical supply places and they didnt have it, but it's outside their field. I'll try Celabora.
I went to Celabora on Street 172 this afternoon. They were closed, and from what I could see through the gate, it appears they may no longer be located there. I'll try again tomorrow, but it looks like I may have to find a different source.
I called Celabora today. They have definitely closed that location and have not yet opened a new shop. He says in about three month. In the meantime you can order from them online through their website. Unfortunately they do not have a BRIX hydrometer in stock, and it'll take weeks or months to order one. So the search is still on.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic