In search of Ben Edict

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
khmerinade
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: In search of Ben Edict

Post by khmerinade »

It doesn't compare to real Mexican food. Taqueria Corona on st. 51 has some good Mexican(tex-mex) food. Give that a try sometime and you won't be disappointed.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

khmerinade wrote:It doesn't compare to real Mexican food. Taqueria Corona on st. 51 has some good Mexican(tex-mex) food. Give that a try sometime and you won't be disappointed.
Real Mexican food is served at Alma. Not a 100% hit rate but it is and they are Mexican. Count me as one not impressed with Taqueria Corona.
Using Tapatalk
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I find both rather lame to be honest. I've tried to like Alma because of all the rave reviews, but it just doesn't do it for me. I find their deserts to be the best part of the meal. I don't quite understand why they're so popular, I think a big part of it is location.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I find both rather lame to be honest. I've tried to like Alma because of all the rave reviews, but it just doesn't do it for me. I find their deserts to be the best part of the meal. I don't quite understand why they're so popular, I think a big part of it is location.
I say this completely non-judgmentally, but the non-sexpat atmosphere probably has a lot to do with the rave reviews. I haven't checked, but there's probably a correlation between the reviews and the lifestyle of the reviewers.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Are you saying I'm a sexpat?! ;-) There are tons and tons of "sexpat free" restaurants, so I don't think it applies. Though yes, the crowd seems to mostly consist of NGO types and young volunteers. I think the location is key. It's in the number one location in terms of foreigner density.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

To be honest, Alma's food is good and the service is friendly but it's not the amazing experience the reviews rave about. I wouldn't know though about authentic Mexican cuisine since I've never visited the country or known Mexicans. But I trust people who say so.

I think part of the popularity is sheeple mentality tbh but they do deserve it. :)

Back to topic, I was in Kampong Cham city yesterday and egg benedict was on the menu of Destiny Coffee. I wanted to try it but it required some time (homemade hollandaise) and I was in a hurry. I plan to visit again for leisure and will give their egg benedict a try!
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Are you saying I'm a sexpat?! ;-)
Not even for a moment. I honestly care little if you are, just be safe, respectful and consensual. :)
There are tons and tons of "sexpat free" restaurants, so I don't think it applies. Though yes, the crowd seems to mostly consist of NGO types and young volunteers. I think the location is key. It's in the number one location in terms of foreigner density.
Fair comment. We're just around the corner, I see your point.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
khmerinade
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by khmerinade »

Alma food is ok. I won't go back there after a few bad experiences, but I'm sure others have had better luck than I have. Taqueria Corona isn't authentic Mexican food, well neither is Alma actually, but TC has friendly service, the food is consistent, and there are a few dishes i find to be quite tasty... such as the nachos with ground beef and ensalada burrito with carne asada or barbacoa.. the one time we told them a certain dish wasn't good, and they took it away without charging us, and all the other dishes were fine. We didn't complain that it wasn't good, but we declined when we they wanted to box it up for take away. They took the initiative to own the mistake, and make it right without us even making an issue of it. I like that kind of service and that's part of what makes me a repeat customer..and the nachos..
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Had one of these at home when I was a kid, tho not as fancy, easy and perfect every time.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

They had that at hometop but I couldn't figure out how it would work, lol. Thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic