American Fugitive JAN STERLING HAGEN Arrested Outside US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: American Fugitive JAN STERLING HAGEN Arrested Outside US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Cam Nivag »

You're slipping, GenMack.

Jan Sterling Hagen is from Kasilof, Alaska.

He was convicted of low level felony drug possession in 2010.

He was arrested for drug possession and DUI in February 2011.

Two months later, he was arrested for felony second degree sexual assault, kidnapping, burglary, and probation/parole violation. He plead guilty to the sexual assault and probation/parole violation charges. The other charges were dropped.

On October 24, 2012 he was sentenced on the drug, DUI, assault, and probation/parole violation charges. I can't see what the sentence was. He couldn't have been sentenced to more than two years in prison, because he got a traffic ticket for having a broken taillight in November, 2014.

In November 2016, Hagen was arrested for felony DUI with aggravation of having two or more prior convictions.

Alaska therefore reopened his assault case and drug possession case, because he had violated probation/parole on those cases. If, for example, he had received a suspended sentence on the assault/drug convictions, the state may be have been pursuing having him serve those prison terms that had been suspended.

The reopening of the court case has involved various legal hearings and ultimately a warrant was issued for his arrest in January 2018, possibly for skipping a court appearance.

SOURCE: https://records.courts.alaska.gov/eacce ... WEvJN5CAmQ (Click the "search cases" button at the bottom of the page and then on the next page enter Jan Hagen's name)
Last edited by Cam Nivag on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: American Fugitive JAN STERLING HAGEN Arrested Outside US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Cam Nivag »

Here he is on the Alaska State Troopers active arrest warrant list. Warrants for three counts of failure to appear in three cases (the 2016 DUI case and the reopened 2011 drug possession and sex assault cases)

mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

How did they know he was in Cambodia? If he took a flight here that doesn't mean he's here. Tracked his credit card usage?
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

mcam wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:45 am How did they know he was in Cambodia? If he took a flight here that doesn't mean he's here. Tracked his credit card usage?
The FBI has ways of finding people. Presumably they can use flight manifests, Cambodian immigration records, credit card records, etc.

However, in this particular case, I don't think there were any amazing law enforcement techniques involved.

The US Embassy runs criminal background checks on any Americans who request passport services. If you have a felony warrant, or if you have a large past due child support obligation, they deny passport services to you.

Note that he was arrested outside the embassy. My guess is the guy lost his passport or needed it extended. He went into the embassy to request those services. They ran a background check and saw the Alaska warrants. The law enforcement folks at the embassy interviewed him about his outstanding warrants. The embassy revoked his passport due to those felony warrants.

Recall that with William Bryan Glenn, the embassy revoked his passport, he walked out of the embassy, and someone murdered him a day later.

Perhaps they have changed their procedures now to avoid passportless Americans ending up dead shortly after leaving the embassy. Here, it looks like the embassy called the Cambodian immigration cops while Hagen was in the embassy and said "We're revoking this guy's passport. We don't have the power to arrest him, but we'd like you to arrest him for an immigration violation the moment he steps out the door and then deport him to the USA."

Make no mistake, the US embassy frequently orchestrates the arrest of American fugitives in Cambodia by revoking their passports and then notifying the Cambodian immigration police that the person is in the country illegally. They did the same thing with Samuel Lovejoy in Kampot earlier this year and previously with Ian Heller, Michael Edward Harris, etc. It's how the USA circumvents the pesky lack of an extradition treaty with Cambodia.
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

If you fled America because you are wanted you surely wouldn't dream of going to the embassy to ask for a passport service would you? Your just asking to get arrested?!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

mcam wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:11 am If you fled America because you are wanted you surely wouldn't dream of going to the embassy to ask for a passport service would you? Your just asking to get arrested?!
If your passport is expired or lost or stolen then you don't have much choice but to go to your embassy. Unless you plan on staying in Cambodia for the rest of your life.
Obviously he didn't know that all the fugitives go to Thailand through the Poipet border. However, the amnesia option has expired since the Pole got busted last week. :wink:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Cam Nivag wrote:
mcam wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:45 am How did they know he was in Cambodia? If he took a flight here that doesn't mean he's here. Tracked his credit card usage?
The FBI has ways of finding people. Presumably they can use flight manifests, Cambodian immigration records, credit card records, etc.

However, in this particular case, I don't think there were any amazing law enforcement techniques involved.

The US Embassy runs criminal background checks on any Americans who request passport services. If you have a felony warrant, or if you have a large past due child support obligation, they deny passport services to you.

Note that he was arrested outside the embassy. My guess is the guy lost his passport or needed it extended. He went into the embassy to request those services. They ran a background check and saw the Alaska warrants. The law enforcement folks at the embassy interviewed him about his outstanding warrants. The embassy revoked his passport due to those felony warrants.

Recall that with William Bryan Glenn, the embassy revoked his passport, he walked out of the embassy, and someone murdered him a day later.

Perhaps they have changed their procedures now to avoid passportless Americans ending up dead shortly after leaving the embassy. Here, it looks like the embassy called the Cambodian immigration cops while Hagen was in the embassy and said "We're revoking this guy's passport. We don't have the power to arrest him, but we'd like you to arrest him for an immigration violation the moment he steps out the door and then deport him to the USA."

Make no mistake, the US embassy frequently orchestrates the arrest of American fugitives in Cambodia by revoking their passports and then notifying the Cambodian immigration police that the person is in the country illegally. They did the same thing with Samuel Lovejoy in Kampot earlier this year and previously with Ian Heller, Michael Edward Harris, etc. It's how the USA circumvents the pesky lack of an extradition treaty with Cambodia.
I noticed The Phnom Penh Post put parenthesis around "fugitive" in their title. Is it a jab at the US Embassy for their methods of extraditing American citizens?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:55 am I noticed The Phnom Penh Post put parenthesis around "fugitive" in their title. Is it a jab at the US Embassy for their methods of extraditing American citizens?
No, I think it's because they weren't able to confirm he was a fugitive. I tweeted that they should call me before running incomplete articles on arrested Americans and I'll give them the criminal background info.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Cam Nivag wrote:
General Mackevili wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:55 am I noticed The Phnom Penh Post put parenthesis around "fugitive" in their title. Is it a jab at the US Embassy for their methods of extraditing American citizens?
No, I think it's because they weren't able to confirm he was a fugitive. I tweeted that they should call me before running incomplete articles on arrested Americans and I'll give them the criminal background info.
LoL. They really need to up their game. We beat them to it, and the only difference between their version and ours was a single quote from some official. I expect more details from them, especially if they're gonna publish later than a forum.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Khmerican
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmerican »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:20 am Note that he was arrested outside the embassy. My guess is the guy lost his passport or needed it extended. He went into the embassy to request those services. They ran a background check and saw the Alaska warrants. The law enforcement folks at the embassy interviewed him about his outstanding warrants. The embassy revoked his passport due to those felony warrants.
Couldn't he have been arrested once he set foot on the embassy grounds? Or is that just a myth, that if you are wanted by/in the US, you can be apprehended once on US embassy grounds (I know I breathe a sigh of relief every time I'm let back out of the embassy a "free" man)? Maybe it's simply easier to let the Cambodians do it rather than the bureaucratic crap they would have to go through.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic