Online chat with disabled Westerner

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
walw3352
Tourist
Australia

Online chat with disabled Westerner

Post by walw3352 »

Apologies if this is not the appropriate thread for this questions (was not sure if this was the best place).

Have been chatting to a very pretty Khmer lady online to get to know her. She is 33 and I am 44 from Australia. Planning on visiting this lady in Phnom Penh in June if things are still going well (we have only been chatting for about 6 weeks).

Where it is different is that I am a dwarf (my height is 3'10"). This lady is aware of that and has seen pictures of me but still seems to accept the fact (i.e. saying things like a "a good heart, a kind man, treat me right etc")

Before i get too emotionally involved, I am wondering what people's thoughts are around me being Western but also disabled (i.e. being a dwarf).
Are there any danger signs I should look out for? (e.g. that only interested in visa).

She states she does not need money as her family own a store and make enough money (from the look of the videos she has sent me, the surrounds seems to be relatively nice, but I am still skeptical).

I know that some cultures regards any physical difference (disability) as 2nd class citizens but I am not sure about Cambodia.

Any advice/thoughts appreciated (and apologies if this is the wrong forum).
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Online chat with disabled Westerner

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Cambodians are quite blunt/forthright, so expect much more overt references to yer stature in ten minutes here than a decade at home.

She definitely would have an eye to the future, security and maybe a passport. That doesn't mean she's a cunt, but she could be.

However, there's more than one chick in PP. . .
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

Our NGO (non-profit organization) distributes hand-crank type cart wheelchairs through Cambodia.

Several months ago we were doing distribution in very rural community and one of the recipients is a dwarf. He is Khmer (Cambodian). also has spinal deformities.

Very personable and articulate. He introduced me to his seven year old daughter who was with him - wife was at home with other kids. Wife is normal size Cambodian lady.

No one in the village treated or interacted with him any differently than disabled or non-disabled at the gathering - he was just another neighbor…

I will be curious what some of the others have to comment, but from my perspective the Khmer people are the friendlies on earth. I have a limited perspective though - I have only worked in 31 countries.

I would offer the same advice to a six-footer - proceed, but proceed cautiously.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

there is a small guy here who goes around with his 2 little kids daily in Kampot.
he seems well regarded.
there are plenty missing legs and such here that manage to support a family- which is the main thing.
you may find a wider acceptance of your difference here- but be prepared for rock star curiosity.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

dwarfism is not a disability imo but just faces challenges in daily life, dont put yourself down mate, back to your question, my advise is to come here, it will open your mind that some will truly accept you, some will treat you like a downsized ATM machine
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Khmer guy round the corner from me is a dwarf, wife is normal is Khmer woman, no one give shim any trouble over it.

However, be aware of your vulnerabilities and have a good friend give you good advice.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

There’s a dwarf who works at Candy Bar - apparently she’s one of the most popular girls, gets bar fined all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

There’s also a dwarf in SNV who goes around to the restaurants selling small (I think quail) eggs. :)

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

rozzieoz wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:54 pm There’s also a dwarf in SNV who goes around to the restaurants selling small (I think quail) eggs. :)

Off topic to Roz: Quail eggs ? Where ? The beach restaurants, you mean ? I haven't seen any for a while.

On topic to OP: I think you should come to Cambodia and see how it plays out. Cambodians are very welcoming, and generally smaller than westerners anyway, so who knows if you may feel less 'small' here.
And good luck with the chat friend. :wink:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

cambodians are very excepting i find,
i doubt she will be after a visa, most cambodians dont have a great deal of interest in emigrating due to their strong family bonds
cant judge whether she sees you as a cash cow or not, obviously,
but you will never know unless you try mate
good luck to you bro
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic