Banks charging for statements?

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Banks charging for statements?

Post by cautious colin »

Is this generally a thing here? Just went into ANZ and was told I have to pay $2 for 3 months or $4 for more. :shock:

I know it is not a lot of money but it does seem a bit off that I have to pay for the only possible way to get an official statement.

I could print one from internet banking but it doesn't have my name/address etc.

Do other banks charge for this or, can this be done yourself with other banks? Are they not leveraging my money enough that they have to charge me for services that should be free (card usage fee, WTF)

Thanks
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Banks charging for statements?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Acleda, ABA and Canadia also charge a small fee for printed statements.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Not strictly a bank (They're a private microfinance institute) but Prasac have this year brought in some fees: .50c monthly ATM card fee, .50c monthly internet banking fee, and $1 for a new passbook.
- So I've stopped using internet banking (all I was using it for was checking my balance and monthly interest earnings) and not bothered to get a replacement passbook - printing a (previous 4 weeks) statement is free, so I just get them to print a statement everytime I go in to deposit money. Can't really see a way around the ATM card other than to stop using the ATM, but it's too essential/convenient.
(Before anyone states the obvious, yes I am a skinflint)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Acleda bank will give you one free statement at the end of the month if you go there to pick it up. I asked them for one statement for the last 3 months as I had not got one for each month, and they tried to charge me for two of those months as they were extra statements. Because I protested about the extra ,,, they showed me in their official paper work where I can have one statement per month,,,, but,, charged for any extra statements.. Took a while to explain to them I am asking for One statement, covering a period of 3 months.
,, To me EXTRA means I already have one and want another one the same as.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Duncan wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:06 pm Acleda bank will give you one free statement at the end of the month if you go there to pick it up. I asked them for one statement for the last 3 months as I had not got one for each month, and they tried to charge me for two of those months as they were extra statements. Because I protested about the extra ,,, they showed me in their official paper work where I can have one statement per month,,,, but,, charged for any extra statements.. Took a while to explain to them I am asking for One statement, covering a period of 3 months.
Common sense does seem to get left at the door with these banks and their "policy". I find it strange that they will give you 6% interest pa on a fixed term deposit (obviously making a shit ton more than that on the loan rates) but then charge for petty things like card usage, printing & setting up Internet banking, which you would think would save them money in the long run through staff salaries.

It makes me only use the bank when absolutely essential, which means they are missing out on leveraging my money further. Was thinking of opening a fixed term deposit with ANZ for ease but I think I'll take my business elsewhere
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

cautious colin wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:54 pm
Duncan wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:06 pm Acleda bank will give you one free statement at the end of the month if you go there to pick it up. I asked them for one statement for the last 3 months as I had not got one for each month, and they tried to charge me for two of those months as they were extra statements. Because I protested about the extra ,,, they showed me in their official paper work where I can have one statement per month,,,, but,, charged for any extra statements.. Took a while to explain to them I am asking for One statement, covering a period of 3 months.
Common sense does seem to get left at the door with these banks and their "policy". I find it strange that they will give you 6% interest pa on a fixed term deposit (obviously making a shit ton more than that on the loan rates) but then charge for petty things like card usage, printing & setting up Internet banking, which you would think would save them money in the long run through staff salaries.

It makes me only use the bank when absolutely essential, which means they are missing out on leveraging my money further. Was thinking of opening a fixed term deposit with ANZ for ease but I think I'll take my business elsewhere
you have no idea all these small fees can add up to a lot, and there are still lots of people or requirements to have these, unless the bank is multi country conglomerate, these small stuffs really do add up, P.s. even MNC banks have different policies in different countries, small countries branches which are not money makers will charge these too
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic