Opening a bank account on a tourist visa?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Opening a bank account on a tourist visa?

Post by username »

I opened an account with ABA in October 2017 with a one month E-type visa and a new passport. No problems, but it might have changed since then.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

ABA are good and the app is excellent for transferring / bill payments etc. Apply for a Platinum VISA debit card as you have higher limits on withdrawals domestic and OS - it costs more PA tho.

The visa issue may be OK with the right staff person or some assertiveness on your part - I would explain that you are converting to a business visa and need the bank account to put your startup money into so state upfront you want to deposit a couple of grand for example.

Open 2 accounts - one the 'saver' that pays interest on the money and the other for the debit card and transactions. You can move $$$ between the 2 accts instantly via the app or Internet banking.

The lease could be overcome by writing your own - in English was fine

I remember being pissed off I had to read and sign a form saying I was not an American
RickOrMorty
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by RickOrMorty »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:47 pm
RickOrMorty wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:54 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:44 pm My first ABA Visa debit card arrived in 2 days, second one took 3 days. Phnom Penh.
did you need to pick it up or did they send it to you? i was thinking about using my girlfriend's address in Banteay Meanchey or a friend's in Phnom Penh. either way, arriving by mail would be better. thanks!
:ROFL:

You obviously haven't spent much time here have you, haha....there is no postal delivery service in Cambodia.

They'll call you and you need to go into the bank and sign for it
post/delivery... same thing. there are plenty of services out there.
RickOrMorty
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by RickOrMorty »

kgbagent wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:09 am ABA are good and the app is excellent for transferring / bill payments etc. Apply for a Platinum VISA debit card as you have higher limits on withdrawals domestic and OS - it costs more PA tho.

The visa issue may be OK with the right staff person or some assertiveness on your part - I would explain that you are converting to a business visa and need the bank account to put your startup money into so state upfront you want to deposit a couple of grand for example.

Open 2 accounts - one the 'saver' that pays interest on the money and the other for the debit card and transactions. You can move $$$ between the 2 accts instantly via the app or Internet banking.

The lease could be overcome by writing your own - in English was fine

I remember being pissed off I had to read and sign a form saying I was not an American
sorry about the American thing. i know our government has pushed these regulations on banks worldwide. they're super annoying.

good ideas. i will try to do that with the 2 accounts!
RickOrMorty
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by RickOrMorty »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:19 pm
RickOrMorty wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:41 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:33 pm
RickOrMorty wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:06 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:52 pm Na, you won't need to show a lease, just give them the address.

Also, be sure to set up the mobile banking app on your phone while still in Cambodia with the local phone number you register with your account. You will still be able to use the app outside of Cambodia.
Thanks! I will definitely do that! And thanks for the tip on the app. Super useful!
you will also likely have to stay in country for a week waiting for a call for when your Visa card is ready to go pick up from the bank

has anybody else had to wait a week for a call for the visa card???
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:21 pm i had to show proof of my lease for the paperwork to open up with ABA, plus Visa+Extension
that was at the Sihanoukville branch
maybe that's why...
thats probably why, i just remember them saying it could take up to a week and they will call me when its ready, could have possibly only took 5 days i cant remember it was a few years ago now
i talked to ABA a bit without going into my personal details with them and they said 4 days is standard, so maybe you didn't get it that late, but i get s-ville would be longer.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

RickOrMorty wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:11 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:47 pm
RickOrMorty wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:54 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:44 pm My first ABA Visa debit card arrived in 2 days, second one took 3 days. Phnom Penh.
did you need to pick it up or did they send it to you? i was thinking about using my girlfriend's address in Banteay Meanchey or a friend's in Phnom Penh. either way, arriving by mail would be better. thanks!
:ROFL:

You obviously haven't spent much time here have you, haha....there is no postal delivery service in Cambodia.

They'll call you and you need to go into the bank and sign for it
post/delivery... same thing. there are plenty of services out there.
Haha, yea you can get most things delivered here for a fee, but bank cards you physically have to go into the branch and sign for it and test it in front of the staff.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:37 pm
Haha, yea you can get most things delivered here for a fee, but bank cards you physically have to go into the branch and sign for it and test it in front of the staff.
They can send it to a different branch for free, though. I opened my account in Phnom Penh, and asked them to send the Visa card to a different branch in the provinces where I was going to work. I think it only took one or two days more than it would picking it up in Phnom Penh
RickOrMorty
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by RickOrMorty »

Just figured I should fill everyone in on what happened after the advice everyone gave me:

successfully opened up a bank account on a tourist visa. a lease agreement was needed for a resident bank account i.e. the lower tax rate (i think it was 5% but don't remember) vs. the non-resident rate of 14%. it took 2 days to get my ATM card. obviously didn't go into the bank looking like i'd been on 136 all day.

they did say on future international deposits they might ask for a contract to confirm it's not suspicious so i provided a copy of a recently finished contract and i don't need to go back in. hopefully that will work.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic