Best and worst airports in SE Asia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Best and worst airports in SE Asia

Post by ExPenhMan »

Someone once called BKK Swampy "the world's worst mall with an airport." Nowhere else that I know are the gates like prison cells, where you are thrust into a basement for a gate, No wonder in 2017 it was listed in Top 10 world's worst airports.

Anyway, I agree PP Airport is a delight arriving and departing. Renovated SR is not bad too. SGN is pretty easy to navigate.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:48 am Dhaka hands down, if it’s still as shitty as a Brussels underground station these days, haven’t got the luck to be there for at least 10+ years, so it might have changed a bit since then... if you like psychedelic then google Biman Banglsdesh airlines interior! :thumb:
Was at Dhaka airport in 2014, and it's definitely the most dirty airport I've ever been to. Immigration took forever too.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

username wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:54 pm
Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:48 am Dhaka hands down, if it’s still as shitty as a Brussels underground station these days, haven’t got the luck to be there for at least 10+ years, so it might have changed a bit since then... if you like psychedelic then google Biman Banglsdesh airlines interior! :thumb:
Was at Dhaka airport in 2014, and it's definitely the most dirty airport I've ever been to. Immigration took forever too.
i was sitting there to collect my luggage some 15 years ago, along with other whiteys that i didn't know, suddenly 2 badly dressed young Bangladeshi's showed up, customs were standing in front of the baggage, 5 of them, the two young guys openend some luggage and took both two packages of about 1kg of what looked like china white and put it in their socks. Afterward they just left, like all was alright. they left without any problems...
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:11 pm I travel to the Australian Gold Coast twice a year and have lost count of the times it's out of the plane, into the rain and having to walk down those steep alloy steps then a walk to the shelter of the airport. But the worst thing is , of the 320 Asian { Chinese ] passengers I am ALWAYS the only one pulled out of the line by Border Control and searched, even when I have just a small carry on bag with nothing in it but a spare shirt and underpants. Once I had no carry on or luggage bags but they still held me for about one hour in case I had given my baggage to someone else to carry through. Nothing but a bunch of power crazy assholes.
I think the smaller airports are a bit overzealous, because they assume people might think small airport = soft touch.

I got targetted flying into Palmerston North (NZ, when AirNZ had budget flights ex SYD), they swabbed my toiletry bag with a round test paper which I guess they sent it off to the lab as they didn't have a fancy wand for detecting drugs. On my arrival back in Sydney I got the full pat down and bag search because I had tested positive for "ketamines" (as the guy said, even pronounced it ketamYnes lol) so obviously i had been flagged. Repeatedly got the bag search for a few more trips before they finally let up on me.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Yeah i love PP airport, always a breeze at arrivals, very quick immigration and luggage collection
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Don Muang immigration was a fucking monkeyhouse when I arrived last Monday.
Chinese jumping queues and westerners being pissed off.
Of course non of the officials would give a rats ass about that.
Reminded me of Kathmandu one day after all flights were cancelled the day before.
Pochentong and Klia 2 are nice.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

King Keil wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:46 am Don Muang immigration was a fucking monkeyhouse when I arrived last Monday.
Chinese jumping queues and westerners being pissed off.
Of course non of the officials would give a rats ass about that.
Reminded me of Kathmandu one day after all flights were cancelled the day before.
Pochentong and Klia 2 are nice.
I'd put Don Muang on the list of the worst airports in the world that I have visited. The queueing at immigration is a pain in the arse no matter what time you are there.

Phnom Penh is very quick and easy to get into town from. if you already have a visa you are through in no time at all.

KLIA 2 is nice if a little big, all of the gates seem like at least a 30 min walk away. A huge improvement on KLIA 1 though

Favourite airport in SEA goes to Coron airport. One of the smallest I have ever seen, they don't have a baggage carousel, just a few guys handing out luggage. In and out in 10 mins flat.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Pochentong is mostly ok, except for the early Bangkok Airways flight. I used to take it regularly and quite often I arrived before the check in staff, which was weird. I much prefer transiting in Suvanabhumi for the fact you can grab cans of beer from the souvenir shops for about a buck and the good food choices.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

username wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:54 pm
Does Mumbai count as SE Asia? Because that's a literal shithole. It stinks of shit.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

SE Asia:
Myanmar
Thailand
Malaysia
Singapore
Indonesia
Laos