Armed robbery suspect shot dead by police, Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Armed robbery suspect shot dead by police, Phnom Penh

Post by bolueeleh »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:44 pm
(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:55 am these cambodian police are amazing me with the situations that they just waltz into and get their job done
Well I don't want to split hairs here, but those are Gendarmerie, an army branch. They are well funded and trained. I can understand the confusion because for years Khmers have called them Payems (PM/ police militaire), and the foreign press calls them "Military Police". The Gendarmerie do function as military police here, but they have a much wider role in law enforcement. They have widespread jurisdiction, and can arrest civilians/ army/ police/ foreigners wherever they need to. They get some bad officers but they are more organized and efficient than almost any police unit.
yep same question as symbols, what is gendamarie doing at same time same location when robbery is happening? gas station beside gendamarie camp?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

bolueeleh wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 pm
username wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:36 am The getaway seems to be an obvious problem for a successful bank heist I'm Phnom Penh. Big heists where criminals get away with millions also require careful planning, knowledge and diligence, and there are many other ways for resourceful people to make good money illegally and semilegally in this country.
careful planning, thats a phrase dont hear coming out of khmers often :D

wonder why none had hit one of those gold shops either, hmmm maybe becoz all of them hv powerful backings?
You obviously haven't been following the news here for long if you think gold shops don't get hit. There's a reason why there are armed police stationed near those and banks in the daytime.
bolueeleh wrote:yep same question as symbols, what is gendamarie doing at same time same location when robbery is happening? gas station beside gendamarie camp?
They have lots of bases around the city. That incident was out past the airport in an area I don't know well but there is always a base within a few minutes drive. They also guard roads, buildings, man-road blocks and assist traffic police, and the funny thing is there are a whole lot of them around who go plain clothes outside of ceremonies. They have eyes everywhere, and don't miss too many tricks.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:10 pm
bolueeleh wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 pm
username wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:36 am The getaway seems to be an obvious problem for a successful bank heist I'm Phnom Penh. Big heists where criminals get away with millions also require careful planning, knowledge and diligence, and there are many other ways for resourceful people to make good money illegally and semilegally in this country.
careful planning, thats a phrase dont hear coming out of khmers often :D

wonder why none had hit one of those gold shops either, hmmm maybe becoz all of them hv powerful backings?
You obviously haven't been following the news here for long if you think gold shops don't get hit. There's a reason why there are armed police stationed near those and banks in the daytime.
bolueeleh wrote:yep same question as symbols, what is gendamarie doing at same time same location when robbery is happening? gas station beside gendamarie camp?
They have lots of bases around the city. That incident was out past the airport in an area I don't know well but there is always a base within a few minutes drive. They also guard roads, buildings, man-road blocks and assist traffic police, and the funny thing is there are a whole lot of them around who go plain clothes outside of ceremonies. They have eyes everywhere, and don't miss too many tricks.
u mean those overweight security with ak47 thats half alseep all the time? :D

on 2nd point, also even there is gendamarie everywhere, guarding the roads are like 1 gendamarie 1 greenie 1 traffic cop per road junction, still do not explain why there is a section of gendamarie in the photo
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

bolueeleh wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:12 pmon 2nd point, also even there is gendamarie everywhere, guarding the roads are like 1 gendamarie 1 greenie 1 traffic cop per road junction, still do not explain why there is a section of gendamarie in the photo
It's possible they have phones and made a call for back up, right?
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:44 pm
(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:55 am these cambodian police are amazing me with the situations that they just waltz into and get their job done
Well I don't want to split hairs here, but those are Gendarmerie, an army branch. They are well funded and trained. I can understand the confusion because for years Khmers have called them Payems (PM/ police militaire), and the foreign press calls them "Military Police". The Gendarmerie do function as military police here, but they have a much wider role in law enforcement. They have widespread jurisdiction, and can arrest civilians/ army/ police/ foreigners wherever they need to. They get some bad officers but they are more organized and efficient than almost any police unit.
Even to khmer PM have more "values" than standard police.
They always told me, you can run away from normal police (blue uniform) but when PM stops you, just cooperate.

Years ago, they were stories of people not stopping at night at PM control check point (for drugs or weapons at the time) and trying to make a runaway ... Well they just shot the guy/car with assault riffles :(
Don't forget the water buffalo
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Would have been wise to drop the gun, lay on the floor and pray. Seriously would you fire shots at these guys? :facepalm:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic