[Confirmed] PP Post-Work Permits to be enforced by MOI & MOL

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: PP Post - Work Permits to be enforced by MOI & MOL

Post by StroppyChops »

Advice for self funded do-gooders (related to the thread, I've heard most of the other advice before)?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I wouldn't normally grab over content like this from khmer440, but given how relevant it is and how widely it could impact members of the expat community at large, this is the first first-hand report we're really had on it from a known source (I know him well and he wouldn't make this up) so I feel it needs to be repeated here:
Buscador wrote: When they came to our house (Toul Tompong) they did not make any attempt to check back beyond our current passports--which would have required them to call someone if it is even possible to do so, since they had no computer with them. My passport was fairly new and had only one visa, and they said I did not need to purchase a work permit until after I had been her one year. I don't remember the price they quoted, but they did say it would be required for every year I had been here, based on the visas in my passport.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I can't help but wonder if by going to the proper offices/etc and dealing with it one could avoid the backdating more effectively.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

OrangeDragon wrote:I can't help but wonder if by going to the proper offices/etc and dealing with it one could avoid the backdating more effectively.
Let us know how it goes!

I don't think there's any reason to be annoyed that Cambodia wants to enforce the work permit rule in advance of ASEAN. However, it doesn't sound like they are actually cracking down on anything, just demanding an extra $100 per year from expats. I'm happy to pay it, but wish they have clear rules about it and answer some basic questions about the unemployed, retired, volunteers and self-employed. Up until now, it has been the employer's job to obtain the work permit, which left retired/self-employed/unemployed expats in limbo.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

giblet wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:I can't help but wonder if by going to the proper offices/etc and dealing with it one could avoid the backdating more effectively.
Let us know how it goes!

I don't think there's any reason to be annoyed that Cambodia wants to enforce the work permit rule in advance of ASEAN. However, it doesn't sound like they are actually cracking down on anything, just demanding an extra $100 per year from expats. I'm happy to pay it, but wish they have clear rules about it and answer some basic questions about the unemployed, retired, volunteers and self-employed. Up until now, it has been the employer's job to obtain the work permit, which left retired/self-employed/unemployed expats in limbo.
Will do, not sure about PP but here in Sihanoukville apparently they've always been pretty easy to get if you bothered to do so. Hopefully they'll just dish one out without the back check.

The prakah on the situation is however pretty clear, that the law (since like 1997) has been the 6 month and 1 year visas are actually working visas no matter if you're working or not. As such you should have a work book if you have one, period. It was just never enforced. Via friend of a friend of a friend, they know they're screwing retirees and are trying to work out a retirement visa, but in the mean time they need a work book as well since there is none.

This could be cracking down to some degree... especially with the backdating. Imagine all of the Nigerians/etc using Cambodia as a scam base or a place to sell drugs. Suddenly they have to come up with a fat backdate fine. It could also easily be the first step in a crackdown of any type, by forcing the expats to register and keep track of where they've worked it opens the door for easier later enforcement of other laws, like Thailands immigrant vs local limits and so on.

I've also heard rumors that if you have an Ltd. business license you don't need one... since I'll be registering for both at the same place at the same time I'll find out for sure. Probably some time next week.
giblet
Expatriate

Re: [Confirmed] PP Post-Work Permits to be enforced by MOI &

Post by giblet »

Agreed that this law has been on the books since before we arrived, so in that sense, it's not surprising. That said, I did not think there was a mechanism to get them before other than through an employer. I may be remembering incorrectly, though.
beet
Tourist
Australia

Post by beet »

OrangeDragon wrote:I've also heard rumors that if you have an Ltd. business license you don't need one... since I'll be registering for both at the same place at the same time I'll find out for sure. Probably some time next week.
I'd love to hear details on this when you find out. I obviously need to speak to a lawyer or similar when it becomes relevant, but I'll be looking at a similar setup when my wife and I move out there next year. Can't find any concrete details online about logistics of getting a work permit for yourself through company registration, or similar.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

[Confirmed] PP Post-Work Permits to be enforced by MOI & MOL

Post by kiwiincambodia »

OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I agree. The current door to doors however have not apparently mentioned workbooks here. This could easily just be step one though.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

giblet wrote:Agreed that this law has been on the books since before we arrived, so in that sense, it's not surprising. That said, I did not think there was a mechanism to get them before other than through an employer. I may be remembering incorrectly, though.
You are remembering correctly. It might have been a law, but it was little known and there was no pay to actually obtain the proper documentation even if you wanted to, so it's extremely stupid to start asking for backdating now. Money going in the wrong pockets again. I certainly won't be paying for any past years. I suspect my employer (and most others) will quickly put and end to the backdating. Worse comes to worst I've got a new passport with only one or two visas in it.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic