Armed robbery suspect shot dead by police, Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Armed robbery suspect shot dead by police, Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

PHNOM PENH - Around 9pm on 8 March 2018, 5 men, armed with AK47 rifles, were robbing a gasoline store and depot when police intervened. The incident occurred at Trapeang Pou village, Kouk Roka commune, Preak Pnov district, Phnom Penh.
When police arrived on the scene of the crime, the suspect fired at them and police returned fire, killing the suspect. The four other raiders ran away into nearby wasteland and escaped. They are being hunted by police.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Armed robbery suspect shot dead by police, Phnom Penh

Post by that genius »

Interesting development in crime, group armed robberies with assault rifles

It always amazes me that a bank hasn't been hit here, even at the big ones security is lax
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

that genius wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:24 am Interesting development in crime, group armed robberies with assault rifles

It always amazes me that a bank hasn't been hit here, even at the big ones security is lax
Never mind actually robbing the bank, it baffles me nobody ever tries hanging around outside and taking out some of the chinese guys you see withdrawing $100,000+ in carrier bags. I've sat waiting in banks watching people take out so much and put in some carrier bag and just walk out.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

The getaway seems to be an obvious problem for a successful bank heist I'm Phnom Penh. Big heists where criminals get away with millions also require careful planning, knowledge and diligence, and there are many other ways for resourceful people to make good money illegally and semilegally in this country.
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

these cambodian police are amazing me with the situations that they just waltz into and get their job done
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

True, but the kind of guys/crimes you're talking about require brains...

Armed robbers generally don't attend MENSA meetings
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

that genius wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 am True, but the kind of guys/crimes you're talking about require brains...

Armed robbers generally don't attend MENSA meetings
6 armed men in one place with a mindset to do nonsense. i doubt i could achieve that with even a year of forward planning plus it has to be done covertly. nope i couldnt even get that far.
guess i just dont associate in the correct circles
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

Robbing a gas store at gunpoint was not the kind of crime I was thinking about when I mentioned planning
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

username wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:36 am The getaway seems to be an obvious problem for a successful bank heist I'm Phnom Penh. Big heists where criminals get away with millions also require careful planning, knowledge and diligence, and there are many other ways for resourceful people to make good money illegally and semilegally in this country.
careful planning, thats a phrase dont hear coming out of khmers often :D

wonder why none had hit one of those gold shops either, hmmm maybe becoz all of them hv powerful backings?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:55 am these cambodian police are amazing me with the situations that they just waltz into and get their job done
Well I don't want to split hairs here, but those are Gendarmerie, an army branch. They are well funded and trained. I can understand the confusion because for years Khmers have called them Payems (PM/ police militaire), and the foreign press calls them "Military Police". The Gendarmerie do function as military police here, but they have a much wider role in law enforcement. They have widespread jurisdiction, and can arrest civilians/ army/ police/ foreigners wherever they need to. They get some bad officers but they are more organized and efficient than almost any police unit.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic