Need your help!!: Survey Child Welfare Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Need your help!!: Survey Child Welfare Cambodia

Post by frank lee bent »

i grew up in usa and all the kids loaded hay every summer
sucked bigtime
money was ok
was silver backed then
elisemweerd
Tourist
Netherlands

Post by elisemweerd »

that genius wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:53 am Yeah, pretty much. Sure we would all like them to go to school, but over 50% of the country still works in agriculture, and if families have to hire adult labour, they will go bankrupt.

In addition, schools few and far between in many areas, travel time etc, unofficial study 'fees', difficult to solve the child labor problem.
Thanks for your input!

This is exactly what I have experienced in Siem Reap :( and its actually more or less the departure point of my paper. I think in the West often child labour is seen as a problem, whilst in developing countries it is considered a solution to the problem. Simply eliminating child labour without taking for example poverty, eduction and conflict into consideration doesn't seem like responsible policy, as children might be worse off. It is therefore that Im trying to see if projects working with children actually take these things into consideration, or if there might be some room for improvement there.

Thanks again!

Link to survey:
https://www.netigate.se/a/s.aspx?s=5541 ... 0589X49788
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the long school summer holiday in usa derives from the need for ag labor back in the day
unique long holiday for the kids in usa
rewind your perspective -100 Years ago and you will see the same in some regions of usa
elisemweerd
Tourist
Netherlands

Post by elisemweerd »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:42 pm the long school summer holiday in usa derives from the need for ag labor back in the day
unique long holiday for the kids in usa
rewind your perspective -100 Years ago and you will see the same in some regions of usa
Hey Frank, thanks!

Yeah notions on child labour in most industrialised countries have changed very much! In Europe for example, child labour much needed and common during and after WWI and WWII. Only after child welfare gained more momentum here. Looking at child labour from todays Western perspective would be simplifying it tremendously!

Elise

Link to survey:
elisemweerd
Tourist
Netherlands

Post by elisemweerd »

markd wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 am what would you like to know :friends:
Hey Markd!

I like to find out what projects working with children in Cambodia are currently most focused on. Results will be part of a study I am doing about finding more effective, and mostly responsible, ways to combat child labour. There's a link below to a survey :) but any comments here are also very welcome of course!

Thanks!!

Link to survey:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

elisemweerd wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:39 pm
that genius wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:53 am Yeah, pretty much. Sure we would all like them to go to school, but over 50% of the country still works in agriculture, and if families have to hire adult labour, they will go bankrupt.

In addition, schools few and far between in many areas, travel time etc, unofficial study 'fees', difficult to solve the child labor problem.
Thanks for your input!

This is exactly what I have experienced in Siem Reap :( and its actually more or less the departure point of my paper. I think in the West often child labour is seen as a problem, whilst in developing countries it is considered a solution to the problem. Simply eliminating child labour without taking for example poverty, eduction and conflict into consideration doesn't seem like responsible policy, as children might be worse off. It is therefore that Im trying to see if projects working with children actually take these things into consideration, or if there might be some room for improvement there.

Thanks again!

Link to survey:
I think it should also be taken into account that many of these children have uneducated or undereducated parents who simply cannot fathom the value of education beyond its rudimentary roots.. It is a well known fact that to land a good position you must have a connection (called a string(ksai in Khmer) and money to pay him or her. Most poor rural families have neither and truancy laws are never enforced.

In short you are dealing with a mentality that needs changing at all levels. The realisation that critical thinking will be an asset to solve problems is not currently in vogue. So whether it's the West or China Cambodia will join the world, but on dictated external conditions. And changing the cultural values of the uneducated poor is Herculaneum task.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
elisemweerd
Tourist
Netherlands

Post by elisemweerd »

taabarang wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:17 pm
elisemweerd wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks for your input!

Thanks again!

Link to survey:
I think it should also be taken into account that many of these children have uneducated or undereducated parents who simply cannot fathom the value of education beyond its rudimentary roots.. It is a well known fact that to land a good position you must have a connection (called a string(ksai in Khmer) and money to pay him or her. Most poor rural families have neither and truancy laws are never enforced.

In short you are dealing with a mentality that needs changing at all levels. The realisation that critical thinking will be an asset to solve problems is not currently in vogue. So whether it's the West or China Cambodia will join the world, but on dictated external conditions. And changing the cultural values of the uneducated poor is Herculaneum task.

Thanks taabarang, your insights are very helpful!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic