Breeding chickens .

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
CambodiaRob
Tourist
Australia

Breeding chickens .

Post by CambodiaRob »

I am getting into breeding chickens , with a view to selling hens . Is anyone else doing it ? I want to vaccinate pre sale , but am unable to find needling equipment or vaccine anywhere in Cambodia .
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Breeding chickens .

Post by cptrelentless »

CambodiaRob wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:10 pm I am getting into breeding chickens , with a view to selling hens . Is anyone else doing it ? I want to vaccinate pre sale , but am unable to find needling equipment or vaccine anywhere in Cambodia .
I've often wondered about this, Norfolk disease is a big problem here, you'll lose half your flock to it but there doesn't seem to be any plan to counter it. People have chickens, most of them die. Seems dumb to me.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

jeez, every fecking feed store has the thermostable Oz vax for ND with fowl cholera added.
you don't need any needles - no wonder they don't know what you are talking about
it is just an eye drop, or you can even put it in the drinking water, and inoculate incubating eggs.
immunity is somewhat heritable too in this case,so you can build a healthy and resistant flock
i predict a steep learning curve for you bro.
send me your fb id by pm and i will add you to some fb groups
it is Newcastle- not Norfolk
and yes, 70% of the national scavenging flock is lost to ND annually
there is a shitload of FAO docs about this stuff
huge potential in poultry
FAO calls it the last great frontier of protein production aside from insects.
you need landrace genetics from vietnam, or just breed fighting cocks.
found a bright indigo blue rooster yesterday out in the bush. seen some metallic gold ones here and there too.
khmers will pay a lot for an attractive game cock
small scale poultry production has been a notable success in Africa for poverty alleviation.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

We raise them for future sale, not for eggs
They are all free range hens and chicks, no store feed only rice and what they can scratch up to supplement. First behavioral indication of any disease and they are immediately culled. Never had serious disease problems.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

your experience jibes with FAO studies by agronomists. scavenging flocks are efficientfor operators without capital.
however- some slight changes in feeding- especially if the feed is owner grown,can produce outstanding multiplier results
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic