Cambodian Coca-Cola meets Mr Science

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian Coca-Cola meets Mr Science

Post by beaker »

"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Nothing to contribute, but that's a great OP.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

LTO wrote:I drink a lot of Coca Cola. Always have. So I know the taste pretty well. And I drink regular Coke, not Diet Coke as I have never liked the taste of the artificial sweetener. It tastes too sweet and leave an aftertaste.

IT FLOATS, just like Diet Coke and unlike regular Coke.

My tentative conclusion: The stuff the Cambodian Coca-Cola factory is putting in regular Coke cans is not regular Coke. It is Diet Coke. (At least for this batch of cans.)

I wonder if that is a 'honest mistake' or if it perhaps cheaper to manufacture Diet Coke than regular Coke.

Would love to have some of the more science orientated types here critique my experiment and conclusion.
Another possibility is that the cans may not be filled with the stipulated 330ml either the machine had a fault or it could be deliberate to increase profit. Having less liquid in the can would reduce the SG somewhat. Thats something you could measure. If in fact you open it and it is 330ml then I suspect they have put less concentrate in the mix.

Edit Just found a SG value for Coke, its supposedly 1.042 in that case for a 330ml can to float the volume of liquid at an SG of 1.042 inside the can would be 330/1.042 approximately 317 ml. If there is 317 ml or less in the can Bingo! Of course this is a very rough and ready calk. You would also need to check the actual volume of "sinking coke" and weight of cans etc.
Edit Post edited to acertain more accurate SG values found here http://depts.washington.edu/chem/facils ... istry.html
Last edited by Kuroneko on Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Sometimes I drink Coke and I'm happy, other times I'm sad.

I think I'm bi-cola.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Drop some mentos in it. if they erupt, it's diet.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Unbelievable that someone with an education and an (obvious) sharp and inquiring mind drinks many cans of coke a day. That shit is pure poison.
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

OrangeDragon wrote:Drop some mentos in it. if they erupt, it's diet.
mentos powered tuk tuk
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

dagenham wrote:Unbelievable that someone with an education and an (obvious) sharp and inquiring mind drinks many cans of coke a day. That shit is pure poison.

I cannot agree more. No Coke, be smart, be cool and do it the Daggy way:

EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

dagenham wrote:Unbelievable that someone with an education and an (obvious) sharp and inquiring mind drinks many cans of coke a day. That shit is pure poison.
Why are you always so obsessed with the choices other people make? Do you want everyone to be like you?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Kuroneko wrote:Another possibility is that the cans may not be filled with the stipulated 330ml either the machine had a fault or it could be deliberate to increase profit. Having less liquid in the can would reduce the SG somewhat. Thats something you could measure. If in fact you open it and it is 330ml then I suspect they have put less concentrate in the mix.

Edit Just found a SG value for Coke, its supposedly 1.042 in that case for a 330ml can to float the volume of liquid at an SG of 1.042 inside the can would be 330/1.042 approximately 317 ml. If there is 317 ml or less in the can Bingo! Of course this is a very rough and ready calk. You would also need to check the actual volume of "sinking coke" and weight of cans etc.
Edit Post edited to acertain more accurate SG values found here http://depts.washington.edu/chem/facils ... istry.html
Measured the contents of one can of Cambodian Coke (same batch) in a graduated cylinder. It was spot on exactly 330ml, maybe 331ml:
ImageImage

I am now looking for a BRIX hydrometer, if anybody knows where I might be able to find one.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic