What's the smallest caliber firearm you'd use to protect you

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: What's the smallest caliber firearm you'd use to protect

Post by Duncan »

The smallest weapon I want to use to protect myself is something like the Israelis use to protect them selves. I think its called a ''Iron Dome''. It seems to work for them and no-one complains, not even the dead.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

9mm is all you need really.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Sailorman wrote:The .17cal HMR is a fun round and is not that expensive, but being rimfire its not reloadable. Its good for up to 400 meter shooting of varmints, but a little small for two leg varmints, plus most all rifles for it are bolt action so slow reloading. The scope on the Ruger pictured is made specially for the 17cal HMR and has a bullet drop compensator built in. You zero it in for 100 meters and its good for 200, 300, 400 meters. The only problem is wind as its a small bullet and you have to figure windage.

One of my favorite small caliber rounds is the 220 swift. A real barrel burner at 4400+ fps. Its a .224cal bullet with powder close to a 30-06 Springfield round. It shoot flat with no drop to 375 yards. With no or little wind 1000 meter shots are common.

Pictured is my 1903-A3 Springfield made by Remington Arms during WWII, Its in 30-06cal and they were used in WWI and WWII.

I was referring to the centre fire job, which if I remember correctly is something like a necked down 223? Anyway, they were a great flat shooting pill that would turn a foxes skull into mashed potato at 500 meters. Yeah, you're right about the wind.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Sorry, since the .17HMR is very popular with bench shooters in the states I thought that's what you were referring to.

List of cartridges in .17cal

.17 Hornet
.17 Rem Fireball
.17 MachIV
.17 Winchester Super Magnum ( a new one at an astounding 3000fps)

In a small caliber revolver with a lot of powder per shell (not real good for carry) is the interesting Smith & Wesson Model 53. Its in 22. jet. It was suppose to be one of the loudest revolvers made. Not much for carry, but if you didn't hit your attacker, you would probably scare the sh*t out of them or make them deaf.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

One day we set up a chunk of 1/2 inch steel plate at 200 meters and put one into it with the Rem .17 centre fire and one into it with a Rem 30.06 and checked the damage. The .17 went half way in and poked a decent pimple through to the other side whereas the 30.06 went straight through. It was a good demonstration of the hitting power of the .17 even though the pill is tiny.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Duncan wrote:The smallest weapon I want to use to protect myself is something like the Israelis use to protect them selves. I think its called a ''Iron Dome''. It seems to work for them and no-one complains, not even the dead.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:9mm is all you need really.

You obviously haven't spoken to any Israelis lately.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Set a 9mm shell next to a .45acp shell and tell me which one would you rather be shot with.

".45 because they don't make a .46
Last edited by Sailorman on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

But it doesn't really matter. 9mm will take down anyone you might encounter. It's all about knowing to shoot. Plus, the 9mm is really nimble and easy to fire off rapidly.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

As I've said before, if you have to pull out your weapon your mind is more than likely to be in a "flight or flight" mode. You will have tunnel vision, things will be in slow motion (sometimes) and surreal. Unless you shoot a lot and/or are trained your accuracy won't be that good. You hit a drugged out as*hole in the extremities and chances are a 9mm won't stop him/her. You hit a drugged out as*hole with a .45acp anywhere and large body parts may fall off.

BTW/ I was an EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) for two years on a fire Dept in a rip-roaring town in Alaska. I've seen just about every caliber of gunshot wound there is including 12ga(12ga you don't usually have to treat them just transport the body as they are dead.) 9mm wound? Unless it hit a vital spot, piece of cake. 45acp wound? If they are still alive, stop the bleeding, stabilize and transport to the hospital asap. My first call after EMT school was first responder to a suicide where the guy put a .44mag to his head and pulled the trigger. Hell of a first call!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I've heard that argument for the 9mm made... and I've also seen guys shot with one shooting back. I'll always opt for something that throws a bigger pill down their throat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic