Kendall Crawford From Oregon Needs to Raise $4,400 on GoFundMe to See Angkor Wat & Study Child Trafficking

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Kendall Crawford From Oregon Needs to Raise $4,400 on GoFundMe to See Angkor Wat & Study Child Trafficking

Post by General Mackevili »

From her GoFundMe page:

"Hi Everyone! I am raising money for my upcoming college study abroad experience in Siem Reap, Cambodia this summer. In Cambodia I will be studying child trafficking, as well as visiting the temple of Angkor Wat and the genocide museum in Phnom Penh. I am very grateful to have been accepted to this program, and go experience in real life what I have only learned in the classroom! I am trying to raise $4,400 by the May 1st deadline, the overall cost of the program is $3,400 and the average price for a roundtrip plane ticket is $1,000. This link Child Trafficking: A Case Study in Cambodia takes you to the program overview on Willamette Universities webpage if you're interested in learning more about this program. Thank you for taking the time to learn about my trip, I would greatly appreciate any donations!"

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Kendall Crawford From Oregon Needs to Raise $4,400 on GoFundMe to See Angkor Wat & Study Child Trafficking

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

:chin: :fuckyou:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Kendall Crawford From Oregon Needs to Raise $4,400 on GoFundMe to See Angkor Wat & Study Child Trafficking

Post by angkorjohn »

Jeez just what Cambodia needs, another ill informed millennial douche bag coming over here with preconceived ideas, who the heck are they partnering with?

the only child exploitation they'll see is the one they are part of, off to some no mark fake orphanage as the tutor tells them "look guys these are poor exploited small brown cambodian kids"

as the group plays with them for a bit and takes a bunch of photos of themselves with these little kids and post 'em to social media. "look world aint we great"

Means times the owner of the orphanage gets some $$$ that the kids never see benefit of and the uni make a killing off these students charging them all 6 times what they should for the same trip. Mix that in with a couple of 'em sneaking off and being arrested for lewd dancing....
should be quite a ride for these exploited young teenage scholars
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

...Child Trafficking: A Case Study in Cambodia takes you to the program overview...
If Kendall gets her money, she might be the only student going on that trip - the program application date has just been extended.

What does your $3,400 buy you on this 14 day course?

"Based on a minimum of 8 students: estimated $3,400 for WU students and $3,600 for non-WU students. Program cost includes tuition, onsite instruction and facilities, visa application fee, shared rooms at the hotel, most meals, program excursions, transfer to/from airport in Siem Reap and local hotel, onsite support, and study abroad health insurance"

International flights are extra.

IMHO, it sounds a rip-off.

- What is the point of running a hotel if it is not for profit?
- Seriously, how much does food cost each day?
- Cost of the tutor? That cost is shared between 8 people

etc etc bla bla bla

I'm sure CEO members could offer a far more useful and value-for-money course. We must have a varied skill set.

I can offer:
- Satellite and rocket design in low-grade Asian countries
- Kefir milk production in a Myanmar cupboard
- Cycling techniques in shitty hot weather
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

I had a look at it properly - they gotta pay for their flights themselves and as suspected it involves going to some ramshackle school then taking gifts an donations (mattresses, toys etc) to an orphanage....pat on the back to all.

On the plus side the kids are staying at a nice place https://greenleafboutiquehotel.com/

It bills itself as "cambodia's first and only non-profit hotel" I thought most of the hotels in temple town were now non profit? :stir: :plus1:
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

From their site

Students applying for this summer program should understand that the topic covered (child trafficking) will be emotionally challenging. As well, our location (Siem Reap, Cambodia) will include physical challenges of being in a hot, humid climate. The number one priority during the program is the safety of the participants. Participants should anticipate a great deal of walking each day as part of the excursions.

Sensitive course material: Students should carefully consider, prior to applying, whether they are personally prepared to engage the sensitive course content.http://willamette.edu/offices/oie/posts ... bodia.html

Perhaps it would be a good idea for the University to supply them with emotional support animals for the duration of the trip :D

cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Pussies:
Bottled water: The tap water in Cambodia is not safe for drinking. Students will need to drink bottled water and are encouraged to use bottled water for rinsing toothbrushes, etc. The hotel will provide students with approximately two liters of bottled water per day as part of program participation. Students can purchase additional water inexpensively at any convenience store (approximately 50 cents per bottle) and can store bottled water in their hotel room refrigerators.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Why doesn't the lazy cunt get a job?

I can remember a time when students used to work part-time jobs through the year to fund their summer holidays.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

this idiot will probly donate the money to the milk powder scammers on pub ST and walk home with a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic