Ever wonder why Thailand is rated so dangerous for motor accidents

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Ever wonder why Thailand is rated so dangerous for motor accidents

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

9/10 it was the motorbikes fault, are they riding with blind folds on?!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Manga wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:07 pm
Kayve wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:53 pm I like how some of them seem like they're not breaking at all.
I think they are breaking a lot, arms, legs, whole bodies even !

I am sure you meant, braking :wink: ?
Oops, my bad :oops:

Would say both actualy :stir:
Don't forget the water buffalo
RickOrMorty
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by RickOrMorty »

dangerous for people or motorbikes or bikes. PP doesn't have the same kinds of small sois. as shitty as PP roads are, it's still designed way better than BKK. e.g. in central BKK with Sukhumvit and Petchburi running semi-parallel to each other with no other way to conveniently get across the city, people resort to taking the few side sois at warp speed, not caring if they hit anybody. that combined with the walled-off nature of Thai buildings and condos compared to the open store front areas of PP and there's less room to walk. i always feel safer walking in PP than BKK.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

RickOrMorty wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:41 am dangerous for people or motorbikes or bikes. PP doesn't have the same kinds of small sois. as shitty as PP roads are, it's still designed way better than BKK. e.g. in central BKK with Sukhumvit and Petchburi running semi-parallel to each other with no other way to conveniently get across the city, people resort to taking the few side sois at warp speed, not caring if they hit anybody. that combined with the walled-off nature of Thai buildings and condos compared to the open store front areas of PP and there's less room to walk. i always feel safer walking in PP than BKK.
i think cars and bikes drive a hell of a lot faster in Thailand than they do in Cambodia
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:37 am
RickOrMorty wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:41 am dangerous for people or motorbikes or bikes. PP doesn't have the same kinds of small sois. as shitty as PP roads are, it's still designed way better than BKK. e.g. in central BKK with Sukhumvit and Petchburi running semi-parallel to each other with no other way to conveniently get across the city, people resort to taking the few side sois at warp speed, not caring if they hit anybody. that combined with the walled-off nature of Thai buildings and condos compared to the open store front areas of PP and there's less room to walk. i always feel safer walking in PP than BKK.
i think cars and bikes drive a hell of a lot faster in Thailand than they do in Cambodia
Probably because the roads are built better and maintained.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

Both Thais and Vietnamese drive much faster and recklessly than Cambodians. Vietnamese are the worst. I've spent a couple weeks in Vietnam this year and saw two accidents, besides that almost every day someone nearly hit me. I spent 3 months in Cambodia and did not see a single accident, just a couple minor collisions where they didn't even bother to stop after. I also think the dumbass scooter drivers who go way to fast and take risks always tend to be young guys. Unfortunately Cambodia has these guys too. If you eliminated them, I think 90% of accidents would not happen.
Lexy
Tourist
Canada

Post by Lexy »

So fuckin horrible, holy shit. But tbh, so many of those are just really really stupid driving
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:37 am
Exactly! They bolt by old ladies and children, blow past turning vehicles, cut off buses and three teenage boys do wheelies down busy roads at night, with no lights. Impatience and speed kill 65 Thai people a day.

As for the Viets, I didn't think anyone could drive as badly as the Thais. But I found the most irresponsible riders anywhere in the world in Vietnam. I can now look fondly upon my bike riding days back in Phnom Penh.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Most all of Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam strike me as a motorized circle of hell that Dante would have joyfully included in his poetical oeuvre.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Just read a report on a double decker bus crash in Korat on Wednesday which killed 18 people, driver lost control at night going down a hill and tested positive for drugs. In the report it quoted this year’s road death stats, so far 3,762 people have been killed.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic