Is it difficult to rent an apartment having a dog?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Laarsoopial
Tourist
San Marino

Is it difficult to rent an apartment having a dog?

Post by Laarsoopial »

Hi everyone! Planning on moving to Cambodia to teach English in the next few months. I'm sure lots of questions will come up, but as a preliminary, how difficult is it to rent an apartment if I have a medium sized dog (very docile pit bull terrier). Do most landlords even care? I've read some horror stories about thefts, dog meat, and dog poisonings. Is this really something to be worried about if I don't leave the dog outside when I'm not home?

Also, any pointers on how to get my dog from Italy to Cambodia would be most appreciated. Finding the most direct route and the right airline has been really difficult :BangHead: .

Cheers.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is it difficult to rent an apartment having a dog?

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

Laarsoopial wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:03 am
Also, any pointers on how to get my dog from Italy to Cambodia would be most appreciated. Finding the most direct route and the right airline has been really difficult :BangHead: .

Cheers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/495286467345705/
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
Laarsoopial
Tourist
San Marino

Post by Laarsoopial »

Thanks for the FB link. I'll give it a good look-over.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

I have buddies with dogs and they have said it can be an issue renting with a dog. Condo's are generally out as are most new builds and lots of other places sometimes don't want or think they dont want at least so yes a lot of landlords won't rent to you. Some pointers
1) Be very clear with the agents you have a dog and explain it's size tempremant
2) If the landlord is not sure arrange to come back with the dog so they can see
3) Be aware if the landlord has his own dogs (many are for guard purposes so you don't want fights every time you gotta go out
4) you'll need to walk your dog, green space is limited, so bear that in mind when looking for apartments, you got Independence Monument, Riverside, Wat Phnom, Wat Botum thats kinda about it centrally. Police sometimes crack down and don't like dogs off the leash (unless they are of course temple dogs crapping everywhere that don't bother them much it seems)
5) Pitbulls can make great pets as you well know, however this is a country where having a dog as a pet (i.e. family member) is a fairly new, but growing trend. They are only just learning to give dogs an actual name. So most dogs in the past are used for guarding and protecting. Most Khmers think dogs will bite them (cos that's how they are used to them being - beating and kicking dogs all day long doesnt give 'em the best temperament)....so a dog like a pitbull they are extra wary of, especially when leasing places.
6)Dog meat is on some menu's but they tend to go for certain types, if your dog is in a well secured apartment you will be fine, what they would more likely do is steal it and wait for a reward to be posted before a kindly tuk tuk driver finds it and collects the reward.

Anyway the horror stories like anything are few and far between. I've come across thousands of folk living here who have had dogs and nothing happened. But, as I say the hardest thing will be the apartment but that expet site posted above might help you as some folk may know where people have stayed before.

good luck with it all.

John
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

In condo it is for sure impossible, but in house it is usually not a problem.
Last edited by cannabistourist on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

cannabistourist wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:46 pm In apartments it is for sure impossible, but in house it is usually not a problem.
it ain't "impossible." I must know about 10 different folks who have a dog in an apartment. just not the condos. Some places don't like dogs full stop. I knew a guy wanted to bring his dog from abroad, the landlord of the house his work had provided asked for a photo of the dog, came back and said the dog "looked dishonest and not happy" so didn't let it.

plenty of folks will let you an apartment they just dont want it to bite the neighbors or shout all day and night.

and anyway you think he can rent a house on a teachers check? :facepalm:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Laarsoopial wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:03 am Hi everyone! Planning on moving to Cambodia to teach English in the next few months. I'm sure lots of questions will come up, but as a preliminary, how difficult is it to rent an apartment if I have a medium sized dog

(very docile pit bull terrier).

Do most landlords even care? I've read some horror stories about thefts, dog meat, and dog poisonings. Is this really something to be worried about if I don't leave the dog outside when I'm not home?

Cheers.

Your pit bull terrier has been very docile up to now,, but anyone who knows dogs, especially pit bulls, they can change their temperament at any time they want. Pit bull terriers were never breed to be family pets and their savagery is built into their DNA. There are thousands of cases where especially children have been attacked so the change in location to Cambodia may be a trigger to making your dog change in temperament.
My advice,,,, leave the pitbull where it is and get yourself a new dog , one that is already acclimatised and can bark in Khmer language.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/3940818 ... ome-alone/
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

Duncan wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:12 pm
Laarsoopial wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:03 am Hi everyone! Planning on moving to Cambodia to teach English in the next few months. I'm sure lots of questions will come up, but as a preliminary, how difficult is it to rent an apartment if I have a medium sized dog

(very docile pit bull terrier).

Do most landlords even care? I've read some horror stories about thefts, dog meat, and dog poisonings. Is this really something to be worried about if I don't leave the dog outside when I'm not home?

Cheers.

Your pit bull terrier has been very docile up to now,, but anyone who knows dogs, especially pit bulls, they can change their temperament at any time they want. Pit bull terriers were never breed to be family pets and their savagery is built into their DNA. There are thousands of cases where especially children have been attacked so the change in location to Cambodia may be a trigger to making your dog change in temperament.
My advice,,,, leave the pitbull where it is and get yourself a new dog , one that is already acclimatised and can bark in Khmer language.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/3940818 ... ome-alone/

Fair point, remember this last month newsworthy/woman-injured-after-getting- ... 17835.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic