Australian SHELLEY HILL on Life Support with Malaria After Doctor Advised Against Medicine for Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Australian SHELLEY HILL on Life Support with Malaria After Doctor Advised Against Medicine for Cambodia

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Common side effects of Malarone include:

nausea,
vomiting,
abdominal pain,
upset stomach,
headache,
diarrhea,
weakness,
loss of appetite,
itching, and
dizziness.

Tell your doctor if you have rare but very serious side effects of Malarone including:

signs of serious liver problems (such as persistent or severe nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, unexplained tiredness, dark urine, yellowing eyes or skin),
signs of anemia (such as worsening tiredness, rapid breathing, pale skin/lips/nails, fast heartbeat while resting), or
signs of severe infection (such as high fever, severe chills, body aches, sore throat).
https://www.rxlist.com/malarone-side-ef ... center.htm
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Australian SHELLEY HILL on Life Support with Malaria After Doctor Advised Against Medicine for Cambodia

Post by cptrelentless »

Kuroneko wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:05 pm A little bit about Malaria treatment and drug resistance in Cambodia:Malaria wars Leslie Roberts* Science 22 Apr 2016: Vol. 352, Issue 6284, pp. 398-405

A disaster is looming in Cambodia and the rest of the Greater Mekong subregion: A deadly malaria parasite has become resistant to both drugs used in the so-called artemisinin combination therapy, raising the specter of untreatable malaria. http://science.sciencemag.org/content/352/6284/398

ACTs (Artemisinin combination therapy) pair the drug artemisinin or one of its derivatives with one of five partner drugs; different combinations are used in different parts of the world. They all pack a one-two punch: Artemisinin hits hard and fast, wiping out malaria parasites in hours , while the longer-acting partner drug mops up any stragglers…..

Around 2008, two teams, including one led by Dondorp, found that parasites were developing resistance to artemisinin in western Cambodia…..

Things got worse in 2015, when scientists found that the partner drug used in Cambodia, piperaquine, was failing, too. When parasites are resistant to the artemisinin component, the drug still works, but more slowly. When piperaquine resistance emerges as well, treatment fails: Patients get better, but a month later they are sick again. The failure rate for this ACT has now reached 90% in western Cambodia; in Vietnam, it has already hit 30%.

The new evidence is solid and "very alarming," says Chris Plowe, who runs the Institute for Global Health at the University of Maryland’s School of Medicine in Baltimore. For reasons still unclear, resistance to older malaria drugs—including chloroquine and sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine—emerged in Pailin as well and then spread broadly, Plowe points out. "If multidrugresistance can spread from Cambodia to Vietnam, it can and will spread elsewhere," he says.

Malaria experts have been encouraged because so far, parasites resistant to piperaquine are still susceptible to an older drug, mefloquine, that has regained its efficacy after years on the shelf. The Cambodian government has already switched to an ACT that contains mefloquine instead of piperaquine, and Vietnam is doing the same. The expert group recommends increased surveillance in the Mekong, Africa, and elsewhere specifically for the K13 C580Y strain, so other countries can act quickly and switch drugs if needed. But Dondorp and others predict that "mefloquine resistance will emerge quickly,” as will resistance to other partner drugs—raising the prospect of untreatable malaria.
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10/ ... lobal-risk

(MAP) G. GRULLÓN/SCIENCE; (DATA) M. IMWONG ET AL., THE LANCET INFECTIOUS DISEASES 17, 10 © ELSEVIER LIMITED

The threat of artemisinin resistant malaria in Southeast Asia Travel Med Infect Dis. 2016 Nov-Dec; 14(6): 548–550.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... f/main.pdf
Sterile males released into the wild is the only answer. Destroy the vector. The anti-malarials always make you sick for days, shitting your guts out and feeling like shit; and you only have one week with the elephants. Roll those dice.
darayd
Expatriate
Australia

Post by darayd »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:46 am
Common side effects of Malarone include:

nausea,
vomiting,
abdominal pain,
upset stomach,
headache,
diarrhea,
weakness,
loss of appetite,
itching, and
dizziness.

Tell your doctor if you have rare but very serious side effects of Malarone including:

signs of serious liver problems (such as persistent or severe nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, unexplained tiredness, dark urine, yellowing eyes or skin),
signs of anemia (such as worsening tiredness, rapid breathing, pale skin/lips/nails, fast heartbeat while resting), or
signs of severe infection (such as high fever, severe chills, body aches, sore throat).
https://www.rxlist.com/malarone-side-ef ... center.htm
I agree that these are all side effects that should be noted but they are similar to other common medications whereas the older Lariam malaria meds (Mefloquine) have much stronger and worrying long-term side effects impacting mental health.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Having read the poor woman's plight, how fucking awful and incredibly unlucky. Mostly I am cynical about gofundme (because in most cases the person has done something stupid and/or didn't have insurance), but in this case I think it's good to see that people have chipped in for her.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

i worked in tropical areas of Africa for 7 years and had a couple of bouts of malaria, my first company was insistent we took anti-malarials and I was on doxycycline which seemed to be the best current drug without significant side effects, we each got a box of malarone which was fiercely expensive at the time and only to be used as a course of treatment if we went down with it.

My second case was serious, I had a collapsed lung through the vomitting, was out of action for a month on site and did actually think I wasn't going to make it never felt so ill in my life, they couldn't medivac me out because of the collapsed lung. We had a reasonably equipped hospital on site so I was lucky in that respect. I stopped taking the medication after that because my body had been fighting it for a while without me realising it, the drugs masking the initial impact and my immune system had been gradually getting weaker. If you get anything but an extreme strain/case like this unfortunate lady and know the symptoms it's a relatively easy treatment with the right drugs.

I saw some hardy blokes coming up from the bush in really terrible states during my time there.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

When I had it they treated it with ACT therapy, which stopped the rattles in under four days. Still took months and months for a full recovery.

But I had been sick for two weeks and self medicating as I thought it was dengue.

Left me pretty damn weak.

Overrated.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic