Changing oil and maintenance of a Cambodian scooter

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Changing oil and maintenance of a Cambodian scooter

Post by superferret »

Thanks Kuroneko and the others, awsome info.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I wouldn't touch the brake fluid unless you're sure it's leaking. Just check the pads. Oil every 2000km and you're good to go. I've got 12 000km on mine, bought it new. All I've done is oil changes, front pads once, then recently changed both tires, rear drum brake pads and chain/sprocket set. I change oil more regularly than 2000km,but do a lot of 80kmh highway rides, which stresses it out a bit. Manual says to change every 4000km or so, and manuals always err on the side of caution, so don't worry. 2000km is fine.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Is it usual to change oil every 3 months ?! Seems way too often ?
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Don't go by months, go by KM. The oil degrades when being used, not just by sitting there. Some people do 70km/month, while some do 2500. Check your usage and change accordingly.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
IFLstudent
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by IFLstudent »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:13 pm Don't go by months, go by KM. The oil degrades when being used, not just by sitting there. Some people do 70km/month, while some do 2500. Check your usage and change accordingly.
This is correct! goes by the meter.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:51 am I wouldn't touch the brake fluid unless you're sure it's leaking. Just check the pads. Oil every 2000km and you're good to go. I've got 12 000km on mine, bought it new. All I've done is oil changes, front pads once, then recently changed both tires, rear drum brake pads and chain/sprocket set. I change oil more regularly than 2000km,but do a lot of 80kmh highway rides, which stresses it out a bit. Manual says to change every 4000km or so, and manuals always err on the side of caution, so don't worry. 2000km is fine.
What is it with the brake fluid over here. I can see that temperature will take effect. My brakes have locked solid on one occasion. Also, a friend of mine had a high speed accident in Thailand on his 1000cc moto when his front brake locked up.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

superferret wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:21 am I'm new to scooters and recently purchased a Yamaha Taurus 114 cc underbone, no idea what year but it was registered in 2012
The speedometer is not working, so possible the odometer is also not working.
Anyone know how often I'm supposed to change the oil on these things and is there anything else I need to do for routine maintenance?
It's a manual bike. Also it says on the registration card Type: Srey (i.e. woman) what does that mean?
I heard the oil change is 5 dollars, is that correct?

Thanks
I forgot. You need to change gear oil. They recommend I think every 5K to 20K. But you dont know when was previous changed so you should change it. It will damage you transmission and you might end up paying 200-300 dollar for parts if the transmission/gear oil is gone. It should be around 2.5USD-5USD to change it. Not sure the exact price. Some scooters use the engine oil. So check first.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

kocdim wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:52 am
superferret wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:21 am I'm new to scooters and recently purchased a Yamaha Taurus 114 cc underbone, no idea what year but it was registered in 2012
Anyone know how often I'm supposed to change the oil on these things and is there anything else I need to do for routine maintenance?
It's a manual bike. Also it says on the registration card Type: Srey (i.e. woman) what does that mean?

Thanks
I forgot. You need to change gear oil. They recommend I think every 5K to 20K. But you dont know when was previous changed so you should change it. It will damage you transmission and you might end up paying 200-300 dollar for parts if the transmission/gear oil is gone. It should be around 2.5USD-5USD to change it. Not sure the exact price. Some scooters use the engine oil. So check first.
Don't be confusing him. He's had good advice so far.

The semi-auto he is buying does not have separate gear oil to engine oil. That's just in two strokes, which are less common.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:55 am
kocdim wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:52 am

Thanks

The semi-auto he is buying does not have separate gear oil to engine oil. That's just in two strokes, which are less common.
Only a little drop on the wheels from time to time :)
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:55 am

Exactly, the op said it was a Yamaha Taurus 114cc registered 2012, its one of these:

Oil capacity is 0.8 Litre, but if you change the oil filter you put in 1 Litre of oil.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic