Immigration Police going door to door in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Immigration Police going door to door in Sihanoukville

Post by OrangeDragon »

They haven't hit my house yet, but reports are coming in from others. Taking passport and visa information, along with the address, but no mention of work permits or questions about employment yet. Though... they're making a list.

No "fees" or anything, but I imagine we'll see a lot more reports of overstayers getting scooped up.

beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Immigration Police going door to door in Sihanoukville

Post by beaker »

Happens every year here they keep track of where the barangs live, your suppose to register were you live with the local cops, and collect tax/tea money from landlord $5. Painless and a lot more convenient that having to remember to go to them.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The landlord is responsible for registering the details of their tenants, not the tenants.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:The landlord is responsible for registering the details of their tenants, not the tenants.
True, but you also end up with cases like mine where I was busy on that day and my wife did everything. I live here, but her's is the name on the lease.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

OrangeDragon wrote:
PSD-Kiwi wrote:The landlord is responsible for registering the details of their tenants, not the tenants.
True, but you also end up with cases like mine where I was busy on that day and my wife did everything. I live here, but her's is the name on the lease.
therefore you are just a guest
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

But with a resident visa... so that won't actually fly.

Now... if I'm not home... ;-)
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I often see police doing their jobs.
It's not something to write home about.

Edit, maybe they were looking for this clown;

Slovenian Imprisoned After Swim to Cambodia
http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/slove ... dia-65532/
Scarier than malaria.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

How about they take the boys-in-brown doing this pointless exercise in futility and have them enforcing the traffic laws. It might cut down on accidents and deaths.(but that's too easy!) Is there anyplace in the world where it is actually legal for 4/5/6 on a moto? The police in Snooky have cop bikes, but I never see them stop the jerks that drive down from PP every weekend and drive like they are the only ones on the road. The police set in the same spots only on sunny days and only stop people without helmets or that ran the red light (90% of the drivers here.) The driver of a moto has to have a helmet, but the
passenger(s) don't? Are the three other people riding on the moto immune from head injury? Do drivers always observe the traffic laws on rainy days and violate them only on sunny days and only at designated cop hangouts?

It kind of looks to me like the boys-in-brown are trying to show the foreigners in their country that they are actually doing something that doesn't involve getting a bribe. There is useless policing and productive enforcing of the laws, I see no productivity here.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Sailorman wrote:How about they take the boys-in-brown doing this pointless exercise in futility and have them enforcing the traffic laws.
Enforcing traffic laws has nothing to do with the boys-in-brown. That's the job of the boys-in-blue.

If your passport and visa are current, then there's nothing to worry about.
And, if they come to your house, that's great, it saves you the time of going to them.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I've actually seen a lot more people following traffic laws lately... to some degree at least. Stopping at the lights/etc even when there are no cops around.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic