The Dog Meat Conundrum

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: The Dog Meat Conundrum

Post by Samouth »

thePeck wrote:
Samouth wrote:
iluvu wrote:I believe dog costs more than beef. I've taken a bite on two seperate occasions and I definitely don't like it, just tastes weird to me.
I think dog meat is cheaper than beef.
It is, at least the normal stuff. Usually from sick or old dogs. It's probably high for the black angus equivalent, which what would that be?
i have no idea lol
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Samouth wrote:
thePeck wrote:
Samouth wrote:
iluvu wrote:I believe dog costs more than beef. I've taken a bite on two seperate occasions and I definitely don't like it, just tastes weird to me.
It is, at least the normal stuff. Usually from sick or old dogs. It's probably high for the black angus equivalent, which what would that be?
i have no idea lol
Well the one time that I talked about when I was in the province. I asked her where she got the meat and she literally said her friends family dog died today so they were giving some meat to her...
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

thePeck wrote:
Samouth wrote:
thePeck wrote:
Samouth wrote:
i have no idea lol
Well the one time that I talked about when I was in the province. I asked her where she got the meat and she literally said her friends family dog died today so they were giving some meat to her...
ok, however even young and healthy dog meat is still always cheaper than beef. i rarely see people eat sick dog, only the dog hit by car etc.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

No idea where the meat comes from but the roasted dog in steung mean chey was more expensive than roasted duck. I also heard from relatives it was more expensive here in toul kork.
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Post by Kampong Spooner »

Yes, I've eaten dog several times, and even enjoyed it on occasion.

Now the boot is on the other paw as my beloved old terrier has been stolen from very near Chbar Morn along with a few other village mutts....

Ah well, life goes on.
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Years ago in the US we had a Chinese restaurant open up near us and the food was great. We used to go get to go orders all the time. The cats and dogs started to disappear from the local area and the police raided the place and found a freezer full of everyone's pets.

Thailand should start a dog meat craze. A number of years ago I rode a Harley from Singapore, Malaysia to Thailand for 5 months. My biggest fear was hitting a dog and going down. Too many damn dogs running around. Maybe Thailand and Cambodia could start a meat exchange. Cambodia ships rat meat to Thailand and Thailand ships Cambodia dog meat.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

reminds me of a local Chinese food place, Delicious food too. But LOTS of mystery meat encased in dough and deep fried. So one day I pull up to park and see that out back there is a BIG pile of catfood, and maybe 20 cats chowing down. This area is wooded behind with some rentals. Typically they'll move and leave un neutered animals. Did not bother me a bit, the food was very tasty.

I think Rama is right, farmed dog would sell and folks might not have pets go missing as much.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Duncan wrote: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:00 pm I would really, really love to have a Vietnamese friend that knows how to cook dog.

I would invite him around to my house at 3 am in the morning for a beer,,,,, when all the dogs in our street are barking.
He would have to steal them first.
Dog-stealing toolkit
Vietnamese dog thieves arrested after shooting police to escape
4 March 2018
One is detained under resistance charges while another has been put into a rehab center after positive drug test result.

Police in southern Vietnam detained a man over resistance charges on Saturday as he had shot and injured an officer while fleeing with dog theft tools earlier this week.

Nguyen Trong Trung Hieu, 22, and another young man were driving a motorbike in Dong Thap Province early on Tuesday when the police asked them to stop for a check.

The driver, Bui Quoc Bao, 22, sped up instead.

From the back seat, Hieu fired his makeshift stun gun at the police and injured one officer.

Police arrested the duo later and seized a bag with many tools for stealing dogs. They had made the stun gun primarily to take down dogs.

Bao tested positive with narcotics and has been put into a rehabiliation center.

Hieu is being held under the charge of “resisting persons in the performance of their official duties” and can face up to seven years in jail.

Dog theft is rarely treated as a criminal offense in Vietnam, unless the stolen dogs are valued more than VND2 million, less than $100.

The act is agnozined by the large public in Vietnam, which is also home to a market that consumes an estimated five million dogs per year, second only to China, which eats roughly 20 million.

Many of the dogs are stolen pets sold to small, unregulated abattoirs and killed in brutal ways. – VNExpress
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic