In 2018, why (not) choose to expatriate in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Re: In 2018, why (not) choose to expatriate in Cambodia?

Post by Gardiguy »

Kuroneko wrote:Delusional disorder, previously called paranoid disorder, is a type of serious mental illness called a "psychosis" in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined. The main feature of this disorder is the presence of delusions, unshakable beliefs in something untrue or not based on reality. :D
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 101433.htm
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:05 pm Delusional disorder, previously called paranoid disorder, is a type of serious mental illness called a "psychosis" in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined. The main feature of this disorder is the presence of delusions, unshakable beliefs in something untrue or not based on reality. :D
you couldnt find us a picture of a cat with that?
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote:
Kuroneko wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:05 pm Delusional disorder, previously called paranoid disorder, is a type of serious mental illness called a "psychosis" in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined. The main feature of this disorder is the presence of delusions, unshakable beliefs in something untrue or not based on reality. :D
To help out with your cat fetish. I don't mean to usurp Kuroneko, literally only have this one, dinosaurs oth I have plenty of. Image
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

westerners in Asia are delusional if they think Asia can offer a better life for them in the long run.

Atleast japan turns people into nerds and geeks rather than insane and dead like KoW.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:25 pm I just so happed to have tthree jobs for the coming year which pays around 400000 japanese yen a month

I will reach a milion yen by june and probly 10000000 yen this time next year.
Suuuuuuuure.......

This time next year you will tell us how you got that $20,000 pm job in Oz lined up, how much Japan sucks and how great the KoW is.

Broken record, my illiterate friend.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:47 pm
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

hanno wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:41 am
Beerinthemorning wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:25 pm I just so happed to have tthree jobs for the coming year which pays around 400000 japanese yen a month

I will reach a milion yen by june and probly 10000000 yen this time next year.
Suuuuuuuure.......

This time next year you will tell us how you got that $20,000 pm job in Oz lined up, how much Japan sucks and how great the KoW is.

Broken record, my illiterate friend.
Saiba Homoresu, this is why he can still post:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_cafe_refugee
cigar
Tourist
Canada

Post by cigar »

Gardiguy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:23 pm
onico wrote:
superferret wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:13 pm
You think Thailand is better, it means you probably don't know it well enough.
Thailand sucks in so many ways, it's hard to count.
As the OP, I took the example of Thailand to compare with Cambodia, it was easier, to illustrate my concern... but, in fact, I lived 3 years in the land of smile between Jomtien and BKK and I leave from there after realized Thai people are f—king racist. Then, come to Cambodia.

I think we all here love Cambodia and its people.
The main part of us agree with the fact they need the currencies from western (less dirty than the Chinese one).
And some of us are scared to see the random crack down over the country.

After reading all of you, I think we just have to say : wait & see

And if we have to look around there is obviously some other spots.
some mentioned : Philippines, South America, maybe also Cuba ? Some minority island ? Madagascar, Mayotte, maybe some African countries ?
Myanmar, Laos, Indonesia ?
The world is still large :-)
Cuba, 3 months at a time max then an expensive visa run depending where you are from Dominican Republic would probably more appealing to most if you are used to Cambodia from 5 years ago. Look into Puerto Plata or Sosua, Barahona if you have the cash and want something a little more upscale. The island has some of the best beaches in the world, a low income population (i.e. Working girls), near perfect year round work, and the rules are incredibly relaxed for foreigners, they even have a separate jail for you there(very nice accoms from what I've been told). Alas, no. Ladyboys in the DR though, a few in Cuba if that's what you're into.
I have some Canadian friends who stay in Cuba every winter for more than 3 months, without a visa run. Someone said a Canadian can stay in Cuba for up to 6 months, without a visa run. The younger Cuban ladies are very hot and receptive to advances from old retired guys with a few $. However, Cuba has house rules, that make it difficult to entertain multiple Cubans at the same house.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

cigar wrote:
onico wrote:
As the OP, I took the example of Thailand to compare with Cambodia, it was easier, to illustrate my concern... but, in fact, I lived 3 years in the land of smile between Jomtien and BKK and I leave from there after realized Thai people are f—king racist. Then, come to Cambodia.

The main part of us agree with the fact they need the currencies from western (less dirty than the Chinese one).

some mentioned : Philippines, South America, maybe also Cuba ? Some minority island ? Madagascar, Mayotte, maybe some African countries ?
Cuba, 3 months at a time max then an expensive visa run depending where you are from Dominican Republic would probably more appealing to most if you are used to Cambodia from 5 years ago. Look into Puerto Plata or Sosua, Barahona if you have the cash and want something a little more upscale. The island has some of the best beaches in the world, a low income population (i.e. Working girls), near perfect year round work, and the rules are incredibly relaxed for foreigners, they even have a separate jail for you there(very nice accoms from what I've been told). Alas, no. Ladyboys in the DR though, a few in Cuba if that's what you're into.
I have some Canadian friends who stay in Cuba every winter for more than 3 months, without a visa run. Someone said a Canadian can stay in Cuba for up to 6 months, without a visa run. The younger Cuban ladies are very hot and receptive to advances from old retired guys with a few $. However, Cuba has house rules, that make it difficult to entertain multiple Cubans at the same house.
Unless they recently changed it, I'm near positive it was 3 months max for the tourist visa. Hmmm, maybe there was a 3 month extension you could get, my memory is a little fuzzy on that one.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

Gardiguy wrote:
cigar wrote:
onico wrote:

Unless they recently changed it, I'm near positive it was 3 months max for the tourist visa. Hmmm, maybe there was a 3 month extension you could get, my memory is a little fuzzy on that one.
You are correct, Canadians can get a 3 month extension if applying within 90 days, so soon as you land I guess.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic