Rat Meat: A Growing Market by Kevin Doyle

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Rat Meat: A Growing Market by Kevin Doyle

Post by Kuroneko »

How to Crack Rat Mites’ Problem: Rat Mites’ Bites, Prevention and Treatment

If you are looking for the best methods to eliminate disgusting rat mites, look no further. In most cases, the source of rat mites’ problem is rats and their nests locating in the attic, basement or walls. If you have pet rat, guinea pig or rabbits at home, they may be also infested by rat mites. Things become worse when rat mites start feeding on humans. Usually this happens when rats cannot be found. Red and itchy rat mites’ bites become noticeable and when this happens, removal of dangerous rat mites should be done immediately.
http://pestkill.org/insect/mites/rat-mite/

https://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets/bi ... /ent-3009/
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

John Bingham wrote:
IFLstudent wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:22 am That "Booming Market" is just ridiculous to think about. I doubt they had any idea what they are talking about.

Sure western medias are loving sensualization of SEA eating disgusting stuff.
The article is 4 years old, there have been trucks loaded with caged rats heading down Sisowath and then National Route 1 to Vietnam since for ever.

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:38 pm They also don't use city rats because they often have scabies.
Ha! That's what you'd like to believe. I was staying near Boeung Trabek a few years ago and there were loads of plants in the front yard, and a fence. This dude rocked up with a flashlight strapped to his head and a weird spear-gun. He shot three rats through the fence in about 2 minutes. He'd spear them, extract them and then smack their head on the road, and in one move would deposit the dead/badly-stunned rat in his backpack. He was very well dressed and stylish, I was quite surprised.The local guy I was with was disgusted because he reckoned forest rat was ok but people selling diseased city-rats wasn't kosher. Once they are skinned they all look the same. :?
There was a recent rumour going around the locals that the 888 nompang pate factory in Boeung Tumpun was buying rats caught locally to mix in with the ‘meat’. Locals were disgusted that they were using dirty city rats, not the hygienic country cousins.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Out where I live rurally they are killed by a low electrified wire that encircles the boundaries of a rice field. I've never seen them for sale at the local market and as far as I know no one comes by to purchase in bulk, so I assume they are eaten locally. Small wonder, they have killed and eaten most of the snakes that prey on rodents. Little by little the locals are descending the food chain.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
IFLstudent
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by IFLstudent »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:32 am
IFLstudent wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:22 am That "Booming Market" is just ridiculous to think about. I doubt they had any idea what they are talking about.

Sure western medias are loving sensualization of SEA eating disgusting stuff.
The article is 4 years old, there have been trucks loaded with caged rats heading down Sisowath and then National Route 1 to Vietnam since for ever.

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:38 pm They also don't use city rats because they often have scabies.
Ha! That's what you'd like to believe. I was staying near Boeung Trabek a few years ago and there were loads of plants in the front yard, and a fence. This dude rocked up with a flashlight strapped to his head and a weird spear-gun. He shot three rats through the fence in about 2 minutes. He'd spear them, extract them and then smack their head on the road, and in one move would deposit the dead/badly-stunned rat in his backpack. He was very well dressed and stylish, I was quite surprised.The local guy I was with was disgusted because he reckoned forest rat was ok but people selling diseased city-rats wasn't kosher. Once they are skinned they all look the same. :?
I've been living in Cambodia all my life, and actually went to the sisowat high school. I literally must have missed some spots but those anecdote words aren't factual. Needs the receipt on those.

Must be tabarang actually does have some misconception of what local actually eats. To tell you the truth, for example, it's pretty much committed a sin when consuming a turtle. However, turtle dishes is norm because it nets higher profits from tabarang and maybe tabarang loves trying new things 😂 😂.

Back to the question what does the local eats, which is considered as cultural shock to foreigners? Dog meats. It's popular near liquor store, and it's pretty much standard appetite alcoholic beverages and side-dishes for bozo. That's why I underlined the "booming market". Well, you got one thing is that article is 4 years old.
Last edited by IFLstudent on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IFLstudent
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by IFLstudent »

It's quite funny to me that people are actually believing that. 😂 😂 😂
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

IFLstudent wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:00 pm It's quite funny to me that people are actually believing that. 😂 😂 😂
I guess you must be a city boy.

I know exactly where John Bingham used to live (but don't tell him that), and I have seen those guys catching rats exactly as he described.

In the province, my brother-in-law often catches rats to eat. Sometimes he brings them to our house for a cook-up, but I don't partake.
IFLstudent
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by IFLstudent »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:09 pm
IFLstudent wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:00 pm It's quite funny to me that people are actually believing that. 😂 😂 😂
I guess you must be a city boy.

I know exactly where John Bingham used to live (but don't tell him that), and I have seen those guys catching rats exactly as he described.

In the province, my brother-in-law often catches rats to eat. Sometimes he brings them to our house for a cook-up, but I don't partake.
This is true to some extent, and I heard people catching fish, crab, and snake in the rice field. Point taken.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

khmerhamster wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:51 am
There was a recent rumour going around the locals that the 888 nompang pate factory in Boeung Tumpun was buying rats caught locally to mix in with the ‘meat’. Locals were disgusted that they were using dirty city rats, not the hygienic country cousins.
I doubt it, rat meat costs a lot more than that leftover gunk that goes into "pate".

IFLstudent wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:57 am
I've been living in Cambodia all my life, and actually went to the sisowat high school. I literally must have missed some spots but those anecdote words aren't factual. Needs the receipt on those.
Yeah, but you're probably about 20 years old and live with your parents who don't let you out after sunset? :lol:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
IFLstudent
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by IFLstudent »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:30 pm
khmerhamster wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:51 am
I doubt it, rat meat costs a lot more than that leftover gunk that goes into "pate".

IFLstudent wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:57 am
Yeah, but you're probably about 20 years old and live with your parents who don't let you out after sunset? :lol:
This is part "to some extent" which I want to clarify specifically on people were born between the Khmer Rouge reign. These people that I would say around 35+ that experience Khmer Rouge reign and aftermath, they would talk to me the same thing but that's a way before now. I meant thing changed now. And -35 below people, unless they love that rat meat taste, go out of their way to actively searching and hunting for 🐀 rat. Not to mention the availablity of another wild animals are abundant at one point after Pol Pot reign.

You have to understand "catching rat in rice fields" and "booming of rat meat business" is two different things

I hope we resolve our differences in age gaps and cheer
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I hope we resolve our differences in age gaps and cheer

Based on the uninformed nonsense you have written, I would prefer to widen the gap even more.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic