Do Cambodians give kisses on the cheek?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Do Cambodians give kisses on the cheek?

Post by superferret »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:55 pm I don't know where you are going that kids come up and ask you for money, I'd tell them to clear right off.
I was suprised too, but it happened at least three times that random neighborhood kids said hello to me and one of them starts saying "money". They didn't come up to me and ask for money, they just said hello and "money". Of course I did not give them any.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

superferret wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:00 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:55 pm I don't know where you are going that kids come up and ask you for money, I'd tell them to clear right off.
I was suprised too, but it happened at least three times that random neighborhood kids said hello to me and one of them starts saying "money". They didn't come up to me and ask for money, they just said hello and "money". Of course I did not give them any.
thinking about it i do remember end of last year when i was in City Mall and i was walking past the arcades up near the top and im sure some kid said something similar as i walked past him, i just laughed, cheeky fucker lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

superferret wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:32 am
John Bingham wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:49 am
superferret wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:11 pm
Username Taken wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:07 pm Kissing is foreign.

They don't kiss babies. They rub their nose in the babies face while sniffing. *sniff* *sniff*. Not a kiss.

Reuniting with family will be hugs. Not kisses. Unless they are westernized i.e. returnees bringing back unhygienic habits from foreign countries.

I'd be willing to bet that my in-laws have never kissed in their entire life. *sniff* *sniff*
I see, how about french kissing between girlfriend and boyfriend? Is that something they also don't do ? If so what's first base for them? Sniffing the girl :)?
Btw, they do have an original khmer word for kissing, which means they definitely did have it somewhere in their culture.
If they didn't the word would not exist or it would be a french word.
They never kiss like that here, as it is a tropical climate and would just encourage the spread of pathogens.
Khmers are like Eskimos, but even a brief touch between noses can be loaded with emotion and become a wonderful thing.
The arrival of European scoundrels in the 16th century brought foreign habits such as hugs, tenderness and blowjobs back into fashion.
Ok thanks, so what do you think about patting on the head for children you know? I heard it's not allowed but I find Cambodian kids don't mind, and obviously hugging kids for a foreign man could be misinterpreted so we don't have that many options for showing kindness besides giving them cash which gets a bit tiring and also gives the wrong message. Unfortunately I find Cambodians kids are increasingly raised to see foreigners as walking ATMs, a few years ago random kids would just say hello when they see a foreigner, now I often hear two words "hello" and "money" from random kids, not even beggars. Is patting on the head really an issue for Cambodians or is this just bad in Thailand?
Can't touch a buddhist on the head, it's the pipeline to heaven. You can't block it, it's bad juju. My brother in law told me I was making myself weak by sitting with my hands on my own head. I pat kids on the head, not sure where condescending comes into it.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

In my limited experience in the region I have found that kids can be patted on the head, while adults don't seem to like it, for some bizarre reason. I've been all over the world and like to pat the local people on the head or just throw spare change at them other times. There are tribesmen in the hills who will get very offended if you so much as point the sole of your foot in their general direction. If you can pat your head while rubbing your belly you get bonus points though.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic