Ivory seizure... (2022 UPDATE)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Ivory seizure... (2022 UPDATE)

Post by OrangeDragon »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/0 ... 93729.html
Cambodian authorities intercepted 3 tons of illegal ivory on Friday that was stashed in shipping containers, in the largest such seizure in the Southeast Asian country, an official said.
I bet as soon as the dust settles a few of those customs officers are going to be driving shiny new cars as they turn around and resell it.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Ivory seizure...

Post by vladimir »

I thought this thread was about an epileptic elephant...
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Funny, I thought it was about stuck piano keys.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

OrangeDragon wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/0 ... 93729.html
Cambodian authorities intercepted 3 tons of illegal ivory on Friday that was stashed in shipping containers, in the largest such seizure in the Southeast Asian country, an official said.
I bet as soon as the dust settles a few of those customs officers are going to be driving shiny new cars as they turn around and resell it.
Leaving No stone unturned! :lol:
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Milord wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/0 ... 93729.html
Leaving No stone unturned! :lol:
Or, as they say in wildlife conservation circles, no tern unstoned.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Ivory seizure... 2022 UPDATE !

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE: 2022 !
Backstory from May, 2014: 3 Tons of Ivory Seized in Sihanoukville
https://news.yahoo.com/cambodia-seizes- ... 8cXo-87hfB

February 9, 2022
PP Appeal Court hears illegal ivory import case
Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times

The Phnom Penh Appeal Court yesterday heard the appeal case of a businessman who was jailed three years for bringing in ivory, without permission, from South Africa into Cambodia in 2014.

Presiding Judge Suos Sam Ath identified the accused as Khan Sith, 41, the owner of Reho Both Cambodia Co Ltd, from Phnom Penh’s Por Senchey district.

He said that the accused was sentenced on November 15, 2014 by Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court to three years in jail but the term was commuted to only a year. The court also fined him about $22,500.

Judge Sam Ath said that Sith was charged with “Illegal transport of wildlife (ivory), a rare and endangered species” under Article 98 of the Forestry Law.

Judge Sam Ath said that on May 9, 2014, Camcontrol officers in collaboration with customs officers based at the Sihanoukville Autonomous Port, in Preah Sihanouk province, seized 778 pieces of ivory weighing 30,080 kilogrammes which were meant for delivery to Sith’s company.

“The ivory was hidden in 556 bags of beans being transported by Sith’s logistic company,” Judge Sam Ath said. “According to the shipment invoice, the ivory was sent from South Africa and addressed to Khan Sith’s logistic company and included his name.”

He added that after seizing the ivory, authorities arrested the accused at Reho Both Cambodia Co Ltd in Phnom Penh on May 15.

At yesterday’s hearing, Sith denied the allegations, saying that he was not the owner of seized ivory.
He said that the seized items could have been mistakenly sent to his company instead of a different one.

Khan Sith added that he did also not know who the owner of the ivory was or who had sent them to his logistic company.

“I am innocent. I would like to ask the Appeal Court to overturn the decision made by Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court and drop my charge,” he said.

A verdict is due on February 28.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501021491/ ... port-case/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Ivory seizure... (2022 UPDATE)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

VERDICT

March 1, 2022
Appeal Court upholds man’s 3-yr jail for trafficking ivories

The Phnom Penh Appeal Court yesterday upheld the three-year jail sentence of a businessman imposed by the Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court for transporting rare wildlife bones without permission from South Africa to Cambodia in 2014.

Presiding Judge Suos Sam Ath identified the accused as Khan Sith, 41, director-general of Reho Both Cambodia Co., Ltd and residing in Phnom Penh’s Por Senchey district.

“Based on the real evidences – ivories and the shipment’s letter address that the Camcontrol officers seized from the accused and produced in court – the Phnom Penh Appeal Court finds Sith guilty as charged,” said Judge Sam Ath.

He added that the Court considers the ruling given by Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court was right and made in accordance with the laws and the accused’s sentence is also too light for him.

“Therefore, he Phnom Penh Appeal Court has decided to uphold the ruling of Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court dated November 15, 2014,” he said.

Judge Sam Ath said that Sith was sentenced to three years in jail but the term of his sentence will only be for a year and the rest of his sentence will be suspended.

The court also ordered him to pay 90 million Riels (about $22,500) as a fine to be put in state’s budget.

Sith who was arrested on May 15, 2014 was charged with “Illegal transport of wildlife (ivory), a rare and endangered species” under Article 98 of the Forestry Law.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501033261/ ... g-ivories/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Ivory seizure... (2022 UPDATE)

Post by Doc67 »

@CEOCambodiaNews

An update for an eight year old thread - that's some memory you have there...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic