"Your Mission is Over! You Go!" British Aid Worker Gets Told by Immigration

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: "Your Mission is Over! You Go!" British Aid Worker Gets Told by Immigration

Post by Beerinthemorning »

the guy wrote an in-depth article about chinese expansion into the region and how it changed the Khmer mentality towards foreigners.

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www.forb ... -2018/amp/

look this forbes article for instance.

its obvious.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Bit of a dramatic fool?
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Sounds like a senior citizen who tried his best but lacks full comprehension of the situation. Probably also depending on some less than perfect advice from others. Assuming that his NGO service and the 20 years of it are genuine I m confident that he has done a lot of good for the country. I m also confident that his service exceeds by far those of some commentators here. Too bad they did not leave their online habits at the other place from where they came.
I feel sorry for the man and hope he will be ok. Hopefully back soon.

Should we open a muppet show section for some posters? Too bad we wont have a kermit.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Pizzalover wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:58 pm Sounds like a senior citizen who tried his best but lacks full comprehension of the situation. Probably also depending on some less than perfect advice from others. Assuming that his NGO service and the 20 years of it are genuine I m confident that he has done a lot of good for the country. I m also confident that his service exceeds by far those of some commentators here. Too bad they did not leave their online habits at the other place from where they came.
I feel sorry for the man and hope he will be ok. Hopefully back soon.

Should we open a muppet show section for some posters? Too bad we wont have a kermit.
I am not sure he tried his best. To avoid the overstay he could have done a visa run to Vietnam, giving him more time to be accepted for the retirement extension. Then when he comes back in April the process may be a little more defined.

I don't think his history is of any relevance to extending a visa.
Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:46 am Why ask for 22 days ? It doesn't state what sort of visa he had, but AFAIK 1 month or 3 month extensions of EB visas (business/ordinary visa) are still possible. But I guess it wasn't possible, because otherwise, why would you go to all the trouble of asking for a special 22 day extension ?

I've never heard of this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Has anyone else heard that it is possible to ask for a visa extension like this for a requested number of days ?
I am pretty sure there is no 22 day visa. Also have no idea why you would ask for 22 days instead of a standard 30 days visa, its not as if they fine you for leaving early
LowrieJohn
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by LowrieJohn »

cptrelentless wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:22 am
Kuroneko wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:10 am I don't know what the issue is here. Whatever he did is irrelevant to the fact that he overstayed his visa.
Yeah, it's ten bucks a day, he owed $220. Also, he's been here 20 years but writes to people in English? Also, how the fuck do you get a 22 day extension? What kind of form can you use for that?
Correspondence with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Co-operation is conducted in English generally, and for visa purposes specifically. Extensions are given for up to one year provided conditions are met. As explained in my blog, this year a new condition was set - for my previous sponsoring INGO to obtain a tax clearance certificate from the Ministry of Finance. It was not possible to obtain this in time. I believe that this new rule was not publicized around the international community but does accord with the tightening up following the new Law on NGOs and Associations.
LowrieJohn
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by LowrieJohn »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:21 am I don't see the issue here. It doesn't matter if you've been here since 1989 doing the good Lord's work or since 1994 doing all sorts of badness, the Department of Immigration are not really able to gauge that stuff. This guy is just using some BS perceived discrimination to push his warped political agenda.
The Department of Immigration (and Ministry of Interior) generally are very aware of the situations in Cambodia for which they are responsible, and they follow policy. Here the policy they applied was that a person in Cambodia on a "B" visa must leave the country before they can apply for an "E" visa. The converse applies too, as some international staff enter with a visa-on-arrival, an "E" visa, then arrange with their organisation a "B" visa. In the past some made the trip to the nearest border to exit and return, a waste of time and money, while others accepted informal solutions to solve the problem. It is reasonable to question the policy of making people leave especially if Cambodia is now wanting retired expatriates to reside there.

As the Department of Immigration said its policy was still "evolving", there was no choice but to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the extension - outcome described in answer to previous posting.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

LowrieJohn wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:09 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:21 am I don't see the issue here. It doesn't matter if you've been here since 1989 doing the good Lord's work or since 1994 doing all sorts of badness, the Department of Immigration are not really able to gauge that stuff. This guy is just using some BS perceived discrimination to push his warped political agenda.
The Department of Immigration (and Ministry of Interior) generally are very aware of the situations in Cambodia for which they are responsible, and they follow policy. Here the policy they applied was that a person in Cambodia on a "B" visa must leave the country before they can apply for an "E" visa. The converse applies too, as some international staff enter with a visa-on-arrival, an "E" visa, then arrange with their organisation a "B" visa. In the past some made the trip to the nearest border to exit and return, a waste of time and money, while others accepted informal solutions to solve the problem. It is reasonable to question the policy of making people leave especially if Cambodia is now wanting retired expatriates to reside there.

As the Department of Immigration said its policy was still "evolving", there was no choice but to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the extension - outcome described in answer to previous posting.
Well, was the cost of the visa ($35) and the two bus trips, what $40, plus what, about 8 hours of your time, worth less than or more than $220? I paid $50 for a one month visa extension even though I was leaving in 14 days, because that could have cost me $140 at the airport. You can't assume people are going to keep doing you a favour, you have to assume that at some point some minor bureaucrat is going to stick to the rules.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

cptrelentless wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:33 pm
LowrieJohn wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:09 pm

Well, was the cost of the visa ($35) and the two bus trips, what $40, plus what, about 8 hours of your time, worth less than or more than $220? I paid $50 for a one month visa extension even though I was leaving in 14 days, because that could have cost me $140 at the airport. You can't assume people are going to keep doing you a favour, you have to assume that at some point some minor bureaucrat is going to stick to the rules.
And with the new visa the OP could have applied for a R-extension.

Before, NGO visa could be changed into another category, but at pretty high prices. You would be stamped out, and stamped in on a visa from another category, but it came at a price. over <edit>30</edit> 300 USD if I remember well, in Jan. 2011.
I flew to Bangkok and back and flight, hotel, all together, was cheaper than what the DoI (hmmm... I should say agent here I guess...) wanted for the conversion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic