Truck stops: zero tolerance at checkpoints for overloaded trucks

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Truck stops: zero tolerance at checkpoints for overloaded trucks

Post by Anchor Moy »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:26 pm Anyone noticed how the trucks here have sand/dirt stuck to the outside of the tray and falling off onto the road . Dirt or sand with water streaming out onto the road, Overloaded trucks carrying sand, flying off into the air to get into motobike drivers eyes. Some trucks are LH drive and some RH drive but all of them seem to be overloaded and no-one can do anything about it cause if they do the truck drivers will protest and the authorities will give in.
A few days ago we were following a truck overladen with what appeared to be dried palm leaves - to make roofs or something I guess - we stopped for lunch, and I swear that the next time we caught up with the same truck it had lost the top of the load.
Agree that the worst trucks are filled with sand/ soil that is distributed on the road,on passing cars etc. Most of the divers have no license and no brain.
However, from the latest reports, it is Cambodians who are complaining about the overloaded trucks to authorities, so there is an awareness that overloaded vehicles are dangerous and not acceptable.They are also destroying the bitumen.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

pczz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 am
taabarang wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:55 pm " The report also states the ministry collected over 584 million riel ($144,008) in fines from truck owners, up from 277 million riel in January..."

That will. buy some official a not too used Rolls Royce.
$144,000 will not buy a used Rolls Royce, not even one made in China. Maybe the silver lady on the bonnet
I think the issue is big taces on gas guzzlers in china because of pollution so the ultra rich are trading in and getting hybrids to be trendy
Damn that is truly heartbreaking. I was hoping for one in my price range.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

HE decries overloaded trucks
9 February 2018
Prime Minister HE said yesterday that the majority of road damage in the country was caused by overloaded cement trucks.

Mr HE made the comments while presiding over the inauguration ceremony for the Chip Mong Insee Cement Cooperation in Kampot province’s Banteay Meas district.

“The vehicles causing the majority of road damage are trucks transporting cement,” he said. “I would like to send a message here today that transporting cement by train is better.”

The Prime Minister also urged officials to carry out more inspections of trucks that may be overloaded and likely to damage roads.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/50107266/hu ... ed-trucks/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

It should be called "anything but zero" tolerance. Saw one stopped by the police today and the shotgun rider just peeled a few notes of his roll. looked like 10,000 riel was the price
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

GMAC asks for delay on truck ban
15 February 2018
The Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia (GMAC) has appealed to Prime Minister HE to delay a crackdown on oversized trucks, which has already forced more than half of the vehicles serving the garment industry off of the roads since it was called for by the premier on Friday.

In an open letter posted to their Facebook page yesterday, GMAC said the government’s enforcement push “posed a new threat to the garment, footwear, and traveling goods sectors, which are facing an increasingly competitive global market and shorter orders from buyers”.

The letter called on the government to issue temporary permits for oversized trucks and to amend the prakas responsible for banning some oversized vehicles to bring it more in line with international standards. Kaing Monika, deputy secretary-general at GMAC, acknowledged yesterday that any problems were the fault of the private sector for not complying with legal requirements regarding truck length, but said the crackdown would have negative effects for the garment sector if it wasn’t modified in the next few days.

“It is a serious issue, because transportation companies don’t dare to drive and have not accepted orders for their services from factories because their trucks do not comply with the law,” Monika said, adding that most of the trucks were used trucks imported from the US and EU, where they met proper safety standards but “do not meet the standards of our country, which is limited to only 16 metres” in length.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/g ... -truck-ban
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:59 am adding that most of the trucks were used trucks imported from the US and EU, where they met proper safety standards but “do not meet the standards of our country, which is limited to only 16 metres” in length.http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/g ... -truck-ban
They have standards?

When did that happen?
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Its good to know that the Standards Cambodia levels are being used as the measure for imported truck safety standards. Imagine the chaos if they only relied on EU , Us, AUS or international standards on building and all other facets of business in Cambodia.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

that genius wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:11 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:59 am adding that most of the trucks were used trucks imported from the US and EU, where they met proper safety standards but “do not meet the standards of our country, which is limited to only 16 metres” in length.http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/g ... -truck-ban
They have standards?

When did that happen?
A 40 feet truck is usually around 16m~ (12 meters for the tail and 4m~ for the head depending on where the head comes from).
If a truck is over 16m, they're allowed on the road. So transport companies have to cut the "end" of their truck or they're allowed on the road. (the "tail" is made right for a 40 ft container, imagine cutting the end of it :ROFL: )
Cambodia standards > International standards
Don't forget the water buffalo
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Standards in the USA are much higher as the song 'Six Days on the Road' illustrate:

I pulled out of Pittsburgh an I rolling down the eastern seaboard
I've got my diesel wound up and she's running like she never did before
There's a speed zone ahead all right, I don't see a cop in sight
Six days upon the road and I gotta see my baby tonight
I got ten forward gears and a sweet Georgia overdrive*
I'm taking little white pills and my eyes are open wide
Just passed a Jimmy and a White, I've been passing everything in sight
It seems like a month since I kissed my baby bye bye
I got a lot of woman but I'm not like some of the guys
Got my air horns running clear
Baby you oughta watch the way I shift my gears
ICC is checking on down the line
Honey you know I'm a little overweight and my log books way behind
But nothing bothers a soul at night, I can dodge them scales all right
My rigs a little old but it don't mean she's slow
There's a good flame coming from her smokestack and the smoke's black as coal
My home town coming in sight, if you think I'm happy baby baby baby your right

* 'Georgia Overdrive' means putting it in neutral on downhill slopes so the engine does not restrict the speed

Apparently a 'Jimmy' is a GMC truck and a 'White' was another brand of truck (until the early 1980s). The 'ICC' is the Interstate Commerce Commission.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic