What parts of Stung Meanchey to avoid?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What parts of Stung Meanchey to avoid?

Post by Beerinthemorning »

the slum was still fully intact in 2010.

the garbage dump still had scavengers but only a handfull.

the new dump is for medical waiste , on the way to the zoo.

they dont let barangs inside.
tonetone420
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tonetone420 »

Does anyone have a good idea of what the bad neighborhoods or "hoods" of Phnom Penh to avoid?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Russey Keo, chom jao, toul sanke, stung meanchey, st 136, st 278 and svay pak.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:58 pm
Beerinthemorning wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:46 pm stung meanchey is where the old garbage dump used to be.

I remember going there in 2010, it was sketchy ,poor, and extremely dirty.

I came back to OZ with typhoid after that trip I think I caught it from that hexed place.
:please: :facepalm:
from a guy that knows nothing about everything....
Dump closed in 2009

PIO school is located there and its giving the local kids a fresh start on life
There's also the PSE (Pour un Sourire d'Enfant) main facility and the Neeson Cripps Academy in the neighborhood, all doing good work with disadvantaged kids and running very successful vocational programs. They have very good facilities and train thousands of young people to be electricians/ mechanics/ hospitality staff to a very high standard. The graduates are in high demand.

The dump, as you say, was closed in 2009 and covered. Only a handful of recyclers remained but what would you expect? There was a lot of swampy and empty ground around there even five years ago, but since then it's gotten much more built up.

All the smaller roads have been concreted since, and there have been hundreds of new low-cost houses built over the past year or so. They aren't great, they are mostly built with metal sheeting but are a whole lot better and more secure than the rough tarpaulin and string shacks that were there before. It's a rough neighborhood but it's improving a lot. Obviously a numbskull like Trapper on his one hour visit way back wouldn't have the slightest clue about what's going on there. Let's not be mean about him though, he isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:35 am
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:58 pm
Beerinthemorning wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:46 pm stung meanchey is where the old garbage dump used to be.

I remember going there in 2010, it was sketchy ,poor, and extremely dirty.

I came back to OZ with typhoid after that trip I think I caught it from that hexed place.
:please: :facepalm:
from a guy that knows nothing about everything....
Dump closed in 2009

PIO school is located there and its giving the local kids a fresh start on life
There's also the PSE (Pour un Sourire d'Enfant) main facility and the Neeson Cripps Academy in the neighborhood, all doing good work with disadvantaged kids and running very successful vocational programs. They have very good facilities and train thousands of young people to be electricians/ mechanics/ hospitality staff to a very high standard. The graduates are in high demand.

The dump, as you say, was closed in 2009 and covered. Only a handful of recyclers remained but what would you expect? There was a lot of swampy and empty ground around there even five years ago, but since then it's gotten much more built up.

All the smaller roads have been concreted since, and there have been hundreds of new low-cost houses built over the past year or so. They aren't great, they are mostly built with metal sheeting but are a whole lot better and more secure than the rough tarpaulin and string shacks that were there before. It's a rough neighborhood but it's improving a lot. Obviously a numbskull like Trapper on his one hour visit way back wouldn't have the slightest clue about what's going on there. Let's not be mean about him though, he isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Thanks for the posts, I've been exploring the area for about a week and actually I really like it. It has a real sense of community, people are really nice and everything is available very easily. The Stung Meanchey mall has Lucky supermarket and quite a good mall too. I did not see any danger or anything unfriendly there, just a poorer Khmer neighborhood. The only problem is is the first 2 km strip when you enter Stung Meanchey is massively clogged up about half the time, the other half is very heavy traffic. If it wasn't for that I bet a lot of expats would be moving there. Did not see a single foreigner yet.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The Veng Sreng Boulevard can be quite full on. I live only a couple of km away but if you go down that road in the early evening the massive amount of people is mind-blowing. It's like being in New Delhi or something. There are plenty of modern shophouse blocks but each balcony seems to have 20 people on it. Most people live in much cheaper accommodation though, $50 a month rooms with tiny bathrooms and no kitchen. Some of the cheaper boreys that were built out that way not so long ago are pretty slummy looking already, there are nicer ones with better guards and gates too though. Late at night it's not a place I'd linger around. It gets very quiet quite early.
Meanchey and Russei Keo districts have been the worst for crime for many years, but I think Por Senchey (where Chom Chau is) and Sen Sok seem to have a lot of crime reports recently. Personally I think Daun Penh is dodgy as hell, that's the central riverside area. Nicer areas like Boueng Keng Kang ( Chamkarmorn district) can be dodgy too, a lot of foreigners get robbed there because they are easy targets and the ones who live around there are often affluent and lack a certain awareness. I've never had the slightest problem on the streets here. It does depend a lot on how you behave though and there are also people you need to steer clear of, you should be able to spot them coming.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic