[Confirmed] PP Post-Work Permits to be enforced by MOI & MOL

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: PP Post - Work Permits to be enforced by MOI & MOL

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Jo Bold wrote:
Joker Poker wrote:So how does this sit for those who don't work here?
I guess the first line says it all
Phnom Penh Post wrote:Two Government Offices (immigrations) Are Going to Inspect Foreigners Who Are Working in Cambodia
I would expect them to go after those unemployed also.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

flying chicken wrote: Unless you have a Khmer national ID card like me, suckers :D
So FC, please tell us about how you managed to obtain a Cambodian National ID Card, did you become a Cambodian citizen, do you have a Cambodian passport? I'm really interested to know, not being a smart ass or anything.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

LOL, seriously some of you sound paranoia. Cambodia law allows you to extend your visa infinitely, there is absolutely nothing authorities can do about it if you are not physically working, at worse they might want to see the visa on your passport to check if it is still valid. So if you are simply going to the ATM to withdraw your money or help your mate to build a pig pen; you are safe. Ones who should be worry are establishment owners in the cities and schools.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
flying chicken wrote: Unless you have a Khmer national ID card like me, suckers :D
So FC, please tell us about how you managed to obtain a Cambodian National ID Card, did you become a Cambodian citizen, do you have a Cambodian passport? I'm really interested to know, not being a smart ass or anything.
1 word: connection 8) . Besides my parent is Khmer but dont have no paper work as proof, so no guilt.

Anyway, it's really hard to obtain one now if you aint Asian looking or have 20k upfront doing it under the table.
Last edited by flying chicken on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Ok, I didn't realise you're parent/s are Khmer, therefore you're Khmer. Cheers
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

One thought on this that was just brought up... is it really targeting us? While I'm sure a few barang expats will be caught up in it, because there will have to be examples of it being universally enforced, could this likely be a plot to eliminate a large number of Vietnamese/Filipino laborers? I mean, they won't be able to afford the $100, or the fines, and with the mention of "repeat offenders" are the most likely to be the ones repeating (once we have one, we're likely to keep it updated).

Timed with the opposition taking their seats and the major influx of displaced Khmer workers from Thailand, etc this actually make a lot of logical sense as a reasoning behind the sudden surge. Imagine the populist surge that pushing out most of the foreign cheap labor force, creating local jobs for those displaced Khmer, would have for whichever side gets credit for it. And likely both sides will be fighting over claiming credit for it now.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

interesting idea, could be...

i don't even want to think about the short- to mid-term consequences of suddenly replacing skilled, experienced workers with (local) noobs though.

:dragonchase:
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

bong.kuit wrote:interesting idea, could be...

i don't even want to think about the short- to mid-term consequences of suddenly replacing skilled, experienced workers with (local) noobs though.

:dragonchase:
If this is enforced i see it as inevitable. those laborers working for $30-80 a month aren't going to have the cash to cover a work permit or a fine... or both.

nor is a poor vietnamese fisherman.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

OrangeDragon wrote:One thought on this that was just brought up... is it really targeting us? While I'm sure a few barang expats will be caught up in it, because there will have to be examples of it being universally enforced, could this likely be a plot to eliminate a large number of Vietnamese/Filipino laborers? I mean, they won't be able to afford the $100, or the fines, and with the mention of "repeat offenders" are the most likely to be the ones repeating (once we have one, we're likely to keep it updated).

Timed with the opposition taking their seats and the major influx of displaced Khmer workers from Thailand, etc this actually make a lot of logical sense as a reasoning behind the sudden surge. Imagine the populist surge that pushing out most of the foreign cheap labor force, creating local jobs for those displaced Khmer, would have for whichever side gets credit for it. And likely both sides will be fighting over claiming credit for it now.
You might be onto something which I havent thought of before. Dont know about the Filipinos, but in term of the illegal VN is a hard battle because of the overwhelming influence in this country; politically and economically. On the positive side, I am starting to see the Khmer youths are standing up for their rights esp seeing the continuous struggle of their families livelihoods and their futures, being oppressed with the support from Khmer muppets. I see the Vietnamese (abusive) influence in this country enough to form my own judgement.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

To be honest it looks like they're just clamping down before ASEAN comes into play, which is wise. Getting foreigners to have paperwork isn't that crazy, albeit a bit of an annoyance. I can't see it affecting anyone who is employed here, as it's the employer's responsibility to provide it (regardless of the "backdated" stupidity). I can definitely see this as being a bit of a pain in the ass for those who are self-employed or retirees.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic