FFS - not even consensus on the alphabet?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
giblet
Expatriate

Re: FFS - not even consensus on the alphabet?

Post by giblet »

flying chicken wrote:I discussed about this before during my early day on khmer440. I.e rean & hean (study), srok sre and sok se (countryside), mui roi and moi hoi (500) etc.
Tell us again for those of us that missed it. The first examples (rean, srok sre, mui roi) are Phnom Penh accents? I'm learning Khmer in Siem Reap with a teacher from Battambang after taking classes in Phnom Penh so my accent is going to be a mess.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

:popcorn:
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Tell us again for those of us that missed it. The first examples (rean, srok sre, mui roi) are Phnom Penh accents? [/quote]

Those examples are not Phnom Penh accent, the words are properly stressed; the ones next to it are.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Flying Chicken means that the accent of Phnom Penhers is slightly lazy and swallowing up sounds.

So while the correct pronunciation is for instance "srok sre" with rolling R, Phnom Penhers would pronounce it "srok seh" or instead of saying "mouy poan/mouy khae", they'd say "ma poan/ma khae."

If you want to hear beautifully pronounced Khmer, I'd recommend to listen and watch TV news anchor and to listen to some radio programs.

I like this presenter:

and I like the radio program hosts at Sarika FM: http://www.sarika.fm/archives/category/ ... ng-program (click on any sound file and you'll hear the female host and male host whose speech is very clear and very nice to the ear)
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Siem Riep?! You're joking right? Some areas of Siem Riep have a huge accent, on par with areas of Kompong Thom and Kompong Chnang (across the river)...
They sound like Swiss yodelers. Ka lerk dak-som-leng...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

I'm thinking it might be easier for me to just learn French and hang with the old ppl :)
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Siem Riep?! You're joking right? Some areas of Siem Riep have a huge accent, on par with areas of Kompong Thom and Kompong Chnang (across the river)...
They sound like Swiss yodelers. Ka lerk dak-som-leng...
Not sure if you know, but there are at least 8 different dialects in Siem Reap province. The accent from the locals living in the vicinity of Siem Reap is neutral.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

There's no such thing as a "neutral" accent.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Ok maybe neutral is a poor word of choice, but it is not standardize either....PP is considered standardized. My point is, the words and syllables are stressed is close to the written words, albeit sometimes with a bit of accent.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

You've just argued a point opposite to the one you're trying to make, FC, but pray continue!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic