Uses of A Large Toaster Oven

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Uses of A Large Toaster Oven

Post by HotRecruiter »

Thinking about getting a fairly large toaster oven (30-45L?) or a small oven by normal standards. Electric. It's the larger, dark colored Akira brand "toaster oven."

Not a chef myself, but what are some good uses of an oven that size?

Cookies, a medium-sized cake? Does it get hot enough to do medium-sized pizzas? (My in-law to be tried it, once too much cheese, another time not enough tomato sauce, another time soft dough, but good efforts for someone not born into pizza).

Holidays coming ... Two Cornish hens? I love the smell of fresh-baked cakes and cookies, though, incomparable except at 6AM at a good bakery back home.

Any good ideas/experiences? Other uses? Dry out your camera lenses at low heat (I saw a de-humidifier on sale elsewhere)?

Can you make a decent reclette fondue with the oven? Melt a bowl of reclette and heat some bread for a rainy day? rhaps melted cheese medallions on bread? Good for quick snacks?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Uses of A Large Toaster Oven

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

It's an oven. You can do absolutely everything you would in a normal oven, just on a smaller scale. I made muffins two days ago. I've made pies, bread, pizza etc.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I have one, and the wiring is crap, if you touch it whilst cooking, it will give you a small shock.

The Akira brand is almost a guarantee of garbage, imho.

Spend $50 more and buy a better brand
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

I've had my Akira for over two years. No wiring issues, no problem whatsoever. I'm after some small baking trays though. I'll check out ORussei this weekend.

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/viewtop ... =pie#p9825
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I've had my Akira for over two years. No wiring issues, no problem whatsoever. I'm after some small baking trays though. I'll check out ORussei this weekend.

Same here. I've been amazed.

For baking pans we go to small khmer aluminum shops... they have loads of options.

To the OP: My wife runs an entire pastry business from one.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

vladimir wrote:
The Akira brand is almost a guarantee of garbage, imho.
Ditto! Thats my experience too. My kettle and fan didnt last more than a month, never been disappointed with brand new purchased appliances in my life. And forget about their air-con too.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Akira TVs are crap too.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

OrangeDragon wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I've had my Akira for over two years. No wiring issues, no problem whatsoever. I'm after some small baking trays though. I'll check out ORussei this weekend.

Same here. I've been amazed.

For baking pans we go to small khmer aluminum shops... they have loads of options.

To the OP: My wife runs an entire pastry business from one.
Where exactly in PP? Those shops that make countertops from stainless steel or the small shops that make mail boxes and other stuff out of galvanized steel? Do you have a specific place? The ones you have don't seem to be galvanized steel, but I don't know of any aluminium shops that do small pans.

As for Akira, I think it goes without saying that you should spend wisely. I would never buy an Akira TV or aircon. I even opted for a Panasonic when I bought a vacuum cleaner (and I'm a big cheapo! The Akira was much cheaper). Pence wise pound foolish type of deal.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@BKL... Home Top on Mao Tse Tung has a great selection of assorted baking trays. Went there for the first time a few days ago and was very impressed.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Lol I just got some there yesterday. Bought a pyrex pie dish, muffin tins and a bread tray. However, they don't have the small pie tins like in OD picture. They had glass ones but I figured that since I'd only make mini pies once in a blue moon, I can find something a bit smaller and cheaper.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic