[Confirmed] PP Post-Work Permits to be enforced by MOI & MOL

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Re: PP Post - Work Permits to be enforced by MOI & MOL

Post by flying chicken »

Two Government Offices (immigrations) Are Going to Inspect Foreigners Who Are Working in Cambodia

Phnom Penh: The Labor and Worker Offices will begin to inspect working places owned by private companies from this month forth. In order to have foreign workers abide the Cambodian Immigration policy. Foreign workers must have book (?) and work registration at one’s workplace; if failed to have these documents will face deportation. Or will be fined and/or imprisoned up to 3 months or more according its severity according to the Labor Office and Ministry of Employment.

A staff from the Labor Office who preferred to be anonymous said this law already existed but was not imposed to its fullest to illegal foreign workers who do not have proper paper required by Cambodian Immigration. Hence Ministry of Employment forced to be stricter. He said “the foreign workers law are already being implemented but it needs to be pushed its fullest effect because of the ASEAN integration in 2015 required all nationalities to comply with the law respectively.” According to the law, if you don’t proper working registration (visa?) you will be fined 200,000 to 500,000 riels. Officially announced with and by Mr. Soh Kheng Ministry of law/justice and Mr. Et Somheng ministry of Employment/labor.

The two Ministries will work to together to tackle the illegal labor issues on 16 July 2014 where foreign workers are employed required to have proper working visa, book (?) entering and exiting Cambodia etc. This announcement by the two ministries desired Cambodia to strengthen its foreign labor law.

Staff at/from the two Ministries required to inspect foreign workers in cities throughout Cambodia and can do so legally by law. The total numbers of the exact foreign workers are unknown by the Ministries. Another reason to this stricter rule is because of the taxation issues (evasion). The work permit costs $100 per person.

Mr. You Khmera Chairman of Preah Sihanouk Labour Ministry said that his city already work/collaborate with 3 Foreign Labor/Immigration offices for the past 3 years (to tackle this issue). There are already legal 432 foreign workers registered in the city.
Mr. You said he will further strengthen his effort as announced by the Ministries which is now part of his new duty required by the Ministries. Even Mr You himself doesn’t know the exact total of numbers of foreign workers in his city.

Mr. Chao Mao Virak the Police Chief of Siem Reap city will have to carry this responsibility in Siem Reap city but he announced/said that even though it is requested by the Ministries from Phnom Penh he will not carry out this duty/requirement for now. He said, he is in charge of more than 1000 foreign labors but he doesn’t know the number of workers who are legally registered (work visa).

According to Cambodian immigration law, Immigration Officers will have the right and Ministries/offices throughout Cambodia should comply and work with the Cambodian Immigration, Cambodian Immigration have the right to fine those without proper working paper work from 200,000 to 500,000 riels. If the illegal foreign workers still refused to comply they will be imprisoned from 1 to 3 months.

This Law announced that the Ministries will have the right to deport foreign workers who work in Cambodia without proper paper work (visa?).

Mr. Sophol, an immigration Chief cannot be reached for comment at this time as he is busy with a duty in Vietnam.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Personally, I wouldnt worry if you are here for a year or 2. But if you intended to be here for a long period and working, it might be worth the investment saving you from future hassles. Unless you have a Khmer national ID card like me, suckers :D
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If my g/f gives me a job, like '' Go to the bank and get me some money '' is she my employer. I'm gunna have to do something if there is no retirement visa's available.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

So how does this sit for those who don't work here?

Also, I imagine there will be a lot of Chinese and Vietnamese nationals that this would/should apply to as well? Comments?
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Just my guess, so dont quote me on it. The minorities and neigbhor countries who has close political connections will be ignored. I think the target is white skin barangs.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

I would have thought that the whiteys were the minority out of that group no?
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

I think so too. But the Whities are easy to deal with (NGOs, Restaurants, Bars, Hotels, Travel Agencies etc) and it's lucrative. Can you imagine the subordinates approach the VN or Chinese on this matter?
Jo Bold
Expatriate

Post by Jo Bold »

Joker Poker wrote:So how does this sit for those who don't work here?
I guess the first line says it all
Phnom Penh Post wrote:Two Government Offices (immigrations) Are Going to Inspect Foreigners Who Are Working in Cambodia
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Yeah, I get that but I would have thought there would be far more rich Chinese around than Whiteys.

I guess they don't make waves.
Jo Bold wrote:
Joker Poker wrote:So how does this sit for those who don't work here?
I guess the first line says it all
Phnom Penh Post wrote:Two Government Offices (immigrations) Are Going to Inspect Foreigners Who Are Working in Cambodia
Okay, I could have worded that better - Will you have to/how do you prove you're not working?
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Joker Poker wrote:
Okay, I could have worded that better - Will you have to/how do you prove you're not working?
Simple! You dont have to, in SR in anyway. They go around checking/busting those who are physically working just like any immigration all over the world. I think thats why the visa has changed from Business to ordinary visa for those who intended to extend their stay. This actually happened to a local international school 2 months ago. Bribery works like magic.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic