Greater respect for Buddhist monks ordered

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: Greater respect for Buddhist monks ordered

Post by prahocalypse now »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 am I always figured it would be a great 'job' -
Go out begging for a hour or so in the morning... and spend the rest of the day stoned/groping girls.
I wouldn't like attending funerals and having to wake up at dawn every day. I'm not a mourning person.
Takmav
Expatriate
Costa Rica

Post by Takmav »

violet wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:07 pm Higher than the king? Wow. I know little about Buddhism really but that surprises me.

So where exactly does the king sit in the pecking order? I do know it is relatively low, but did not expect that. And where does HS fit - above or below the monks?
In Thailand it's only the senior monks who are higher than the king. That was the former king. Don't know about the new.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

You could be next.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

prahocalypse now wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:02 pmI wouldn't like attending funerals and having to wake up at dawn every day. I'm not a mourning person.
Most of them are up long before dawn.

When there is a funeral, they go as soon as they are notified of the death, sometimes 1 or 2 am.
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

respect reality not fiction or those who prey on others need for escape from suffering

was asked to share a courtesy tuk tuk last week & told I had to sit next to the monk because he couldn't sit beside my girlfriend
I just said we weren't getting in with him then if he discriminates based on gender
not my concern he believes iron age bollocks

it all stops when we stop playing along
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

chorlton wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:03 am respect reality not fiction or those who prey on others need for escape from suffering

was asked to share a courtesy tuk tuk last week & told I had to sit next to the monk because he couldn't sit beside my girlfriend
I just said we weren't getting in with him then if he discriminates based on gender
not my concern he believes iron age bollocks

it all stops when we stop playing along
Happened to me too but it was a muslim guy and my pet named Porky.
Don't forget the water buffalo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic