Religious people are, on average, less intelligent than atheists, researchers claim.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
pczz
Expatriate
Posts: 1992
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Reputation: 342
Location: phnom penh
Great Britain

Re: Religious people are, on average, less intelligent than atheists, researchers claim.

Post by pczz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:48 pm

kiwiincambodia wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:43 pm
pczz wrote:Intersting that you picked a famous Person Of Restricted Growth for references to sex. something you wanna share ?
I take it you’ve never watched / read game of thrones? These are actual quotes from his character.
Aha, I had heard of it. No idea what it is about or that he was in it. :bow:
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:17 pm
Reputation: 36
Cambodia

Re: Religious people are, on average, less intelligent than atheists, researchers claim.

Post by SmartAston Martin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 pm

"Religion is opium for the masses." – I believe some people NEED that medicine to exist peacefully. Let it be.

You see America today? It's the direct result of expanding secularism and shrinking religion. Prove me wrong.

This is technically NORMAL, and even foretold, as generations after generations often decline if not held in check. Great empires require great sacrifices, but what if you won it all? Hence, decline.

How do we know this? Because for the last 2000 years, roughly, scholars have been documenting and writing about a man who changed the world. Same with Buddha in Asia 2558(?) years ago. And that Muslim guy, Abe and his family, etc.

We know that these people existed, and they changed the world, whether or not the stories have been exaggerated or changed. Stories tend to do that, over time. Legends are expected to be fantastic, for power and emphasis.

Did the people have miraculous powers? Perhaps so, for the time. Perhaps they knew things we take for granted now. Incredible knowledge of the human psyche, will we call spirit, and insight into another's character. Sometimes great people are born, far more advanced than their peers, and change the world.

Granted, perhaps there is hyperbole and symbolism that may have been misconstrued by various translations, like Aramaic to Hebrew (Yiddish?) to Greek to Latin to English. I have no doubts of that.

But forecasting is as simple as looking at the sky for signs, and predicting, usually correctly, with experience.

And human nature has remained the same: subject to greed, materialism, cowardice, self-centeredness, corruption, vanity, vice and avarice.

The human mind conjures up demons, of its own. Why not the human mind conjure up angels, to combat them in the ethereal world of our immensely powerful minds?

Despite the hijacking of religion for nefarious purposes, the overall benefits are uncontestable. Doing good works, or karma, works.

Meditation, or self-introspection, or prayer works.

The only competition to religion is science, and look at the nuclear bomb, the AK-47, and crystal meth. All products of science, meant for good, but misused with huge potential for destruction.

Atheism by itself is not terrible. But a lack of faith in SOMETHING is.

Whatever works for you.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13678
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1878
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Religious people are, on average, less intelligent than atheists, researchers claim.

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:49 am

pczz wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:48 pm
kiwiincambodia wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:43 pm
pczz wrote:Intersting that you picked a famous Person Of Restricted Growth for references to sex. something you wanna share ?
I take it you’ve never watched / read game of thrones? These are actual quotes from his character.
Aha, I had heard of it. No idea what it is about or that he was in it. :bow:
Tyrion is a legend! :bow:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Barang chgout
Expatriate
Posts: 3055
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:36 am
Reputation: 671

Re: Religious people are, on average, less intelligent than atheists, researchers claim.

Post by Barang chgout » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:45 am

Church if the Flying Spaghetti Monster offers a heaven with a beer volcano and a stripper factory..

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

User avatar
that genius
Expatriate
Posts: 4065
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:53 am
Reputation: 960
Sweden

Re: Religious people are, on average, less intelligent than atheists, researchers claim.

Post by that genius » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:54 am

Is there a red wine option?

I'm assuming that the strippers are female, but who knows nowadays.

Can we see the contract?
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 5995
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 1930
Yemen

Re: Religious people are, on average, less intelligent than atheists, researchers claim.

Post by John Bingham » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:58 am

SmartAston Martin wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 pm
You see America today? It's the direct result of expanding secularism and shrinking religion. Prove me wrong.
As far as I can see the USA is far more religious than most other western countries.
User avatar
Kuroneko
Expatriate
Posts: 3397
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am
Reputation: 583

Re: Religious people are, on average, less intelligent than atheists, researchers claim.

Post by Kuroneko » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:16 am

John Bingham wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:58 am
SmartAston Martin wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 pm
You see America today? It's the direct result of expanding secularism and shrinking religion. Prove me wrong.
As far as I can see the USA is far more religious than most other western countries.
Seems to be.
The majority of U.S. adults self-identify as Christians, while close to a quarter claim no religious affiliation. According to a 2014 study by the Pew Research Center, 70.6% of the adult population identified themselves as Christians, with 46.5% professing attendance at a variety of churches that could be considered Protestant, and 20.8% professing Catholic beliefs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_ ... ted_States

The British Social Attitudes survey asked the question "Do you regard yourself as belonging to any particular religion?" with 53% selecting 'no religion' in 2016.[39] The European Social Survey asked the question "Which religion or denomination do you belong to at present?" with 50.54% of respondents selecting 'no religion' in 2002 and 52.68% selecting 'no religion' in 2008.[40]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_ ... ed_Kingdom

In an optional question on the 2016 Census, 52.1% of the Australian population declared some variety of Christianity. Historically the percentage was far higher; now, the religious landscape of Australia is changing and diversifying.[1] In 2016, 30.1% of Australians stated "no religion" and a further 9.6% chose not to answer the question.[1] Other faiths include Muslims (2.6%), Buddhists (2.4%), Hindus (1.9%), Sikhs (0.5%), and Jews (0.4%).[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Australia
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13678
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1878
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Religious people are, on average, less intelligent than atheists, researchers claim.

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:43 pm

Kuroneko wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:16 am
John Bingham wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:58 am
SmartAston Martin wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 pm
You see America today? It's the direct result of expanding secularism and shrinking religion. Prove me wrong.
As far as I can see the USA is far more religious than most other western countries.
Seems to be.
The majority of U.S. adults self-identify as Christians, while close to a quarter claim no religious affiliation. According to a 2014 study by the Pew Research Center, 70.6% of the adult population identified themselves as Christians, with 46.5% professing attendance at a variety of churches that could be considered Protestant, and 20.8% professing Catholic beliefs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_ ... ted_States

The British Social Attitudes survey asked the question "Do you regard yourself as belonging to any particular religion?" with 53% selecting 'no religion' in 2016.[39] The European Social Survey asked the question "Which religion or denomination do you belong to at present?" with 50.54% of respondents selecting 'no religion' in 2002 and 52.68% selecting 'no religion' in 2008.[40]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_ ... ed_Kingdom

In an optional question on the 2016 Census, 52.1% of the Australian population declared some variety of Christianity. Historically the percentage was far higher; now, the religious landscape of Australia is changing and diversifying.[1] In 2016, 30.1% of Australians stated "no religion" and a further 9.6% chose not to answer the question.[1] Other faiths include Muslims (2.6%), Buddhists (2.4%), Hindus (1.9%), Sikhs (0.5%), and Jews (0.4%).[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Australia
Naa Ireland is more religious :mrgreen:
"The predominant religion in the Republic of Ireland is Christianity, with the largest church being the Roman Catholic Church.

In the 2016 census, 78% (3.7 million) of the population identified as Catholic which 132,220 fewer than 5 years earlier in 2011 when the percentage stood at 84%.[1]

The next largest group after Catholic was "no religion". 10% of the population (468,421 people) had no religion or did not indicate a religious belief according to the census.[2] This was a 73.6% increase from 2011"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_ ... of_Ireland
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:17 pm
Reputation: 36
Cambodia

Re: Religious people are, on average, less intelligent than atheists, researchers claim.

Post by SmartAston Martin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:07 pm

I think you missed my point. The **decline** of a formerly very religious country (frontiers and wars will do that to you),after the second major world war was over led to the decline we have today.

You can see the "snowball" effect that generation after generation led to.

Big Pharma found a pill and liberated, emancipated Americans felt much freedom and the two mixed. Children and whole alternative cultures spawned from the result (resulting in much creativity, true, but at some social cost).

Then their children and this new culture spawned the kids in the 70s, then them, cocaine and disco spawned the kids in the 90s, and then they made the Millennials we have today. Progressively weaker, and progressively more liberal, i.e., **less religious** from a great country with decades of decline.

One analogy is the allowance of kissing cousins to marry one another in Muslim countries. Too much of that leads to somewhat unstable leaders of families, sometimes even royalty, and the ensuing chaos and backstabbing is caused by that factor (perhaps with others), the intermarrying of cousins.

THE BLOODSTREAM GETS CONTAMINATED by drugs during conception and pregnancy and kissing cousins, there is no doubt. Takes a while to notice, but generational changes occur and a decline of civilization(s) occurs.

But, America was once strong as a bull, and it can take several generations to bring it down. So, I don't disagree the Heartland of America is mostly religious, but the coasts are not nearly as religious. And secularism has outmaneuvered religion by removing former religious symbols, and replacing them with secular symbols.

Secularism is very strong in government. You have politicians going for the Christian vote, but they are politicians – paid to lie and tell us all is good.

I'm all for a pluralistic society, but religion has been retreating for a long time, since the birth control pills in the 60s and qualuudes in the 70s.

There was no **immediate** need for religion, abstention from sex "wasn't required," people could live without and live love-torn lives all they want. Look at a hardened Bangkok hooker for an extremely example of that.

Religion – "The opiate for the masses" – which actually improves bloodstreams – was replaced by morphine and now benzodiazapenes. Definitely a driving factor in the decline of our little Millennials.

Anyhow, religion is not for everyone, and is often difficult. It faces a constant battle against the animal drives within us, and is foreordained to face trials and tribulations until the Savior comes back, whenever that'll be.

But I do respect the philanthropy and healing of the social fabric they do everyday, and the vision of heaven sounds really nice.

Religion declining, New World Order stranger and stranger.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
User avatar
chorlton
Expatriate
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:09 pm
Reputation: 58
Location: Location Location
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Re: Religious people are, on average, less intelligent than atheists, researchers claim.

Post by chorlton » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:29 am

"prove me wrong"
intellectual laziness at its finest

deflect, deflect, deflect 24/7
if youre so into your sky daddy keep him to yourself, others aren't interested in it or the vile story book of hate it comes with

prove the claim jesus existed.....
my reply is already ready
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jimpson and 123 guests